1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohio State, Michigan ax media guides

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Furry Tractor, May 28, 2009.

1. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Much easier to flip through, I agree. The newest version of Adobe, however, runs real smooth. If I will still in a position of needing a guide every day, I'd probably print out some of the pages I use all the time... and probably the whole player section.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Will we still get the Buckeye stickers, like were on the football media guide a couple of years ago? :)

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

PDF media guides are wonderful. By using ctrl+F on a PC or command+F on a mac, you can instantly find what term, name or stat you're looking for. Incredibly efficient.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I think we'll all get used to not having hard-copy media guides very quickly. You can print out the key pages -- year-by-year results, all-time records, rosters -- so you have the things you need most handy, and the rest is on your laptop if you need it.

Every summer, I go to the conference media days and lug back a 25-pound bag of media guides, but honestly, aside from the school I cover and the league guide, I don't use the others much at all -- spend a lot more time on the school's official site, on individual player pages on those sites.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Easy to flip through. That's why I loved the guides. I guess the PDF's you can use at home.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'm with Diabeetus on the search function -- it's so much easier to type a name into ctrl-F and find no reference to a supposed player than it is to pore over 200 pages looking in vain for a single reference ...

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Interesting that those two made a joint announcement. Because if one had said "no effing way" and continued with print guides, the other surely would have followed. I love the OSU/Michigan arms race.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just the technophobe in me, but there's something reassuring about a hard copy of the media guide. Unless you throw it away, burn it, shred it, whatever, it's there. It's not going anywhere. An electronic version can just go *poof* and you're SOL. Or your internet connection can go down and you can't access it. There's a reason I still print out all of my important files at work and store them in a filing cabinet.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If not for the the search function, I'd never find ANYTHING in an Army regulation, field manual, or technical manual. EVAR.

11. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Uh, you can burn the PDF on a CD - still a lot lighter than a BFB (big, fat book)

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Yup. Don't even need the internet to access it. :D

Plus, it's an environmentally beneficial decision. Think of how many of those things they print off that just end up in the garbage later.

Draft saved Draft deleted