1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohio State football gets one-year bowl ban; Tressel hit with 5-year "show cause"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Re: Ohio State football sanctions to be announced at 3 p.m. EST

It was an inexcusable misread of what the NCAA would do....even after the Failure to Monitor was added. Some bizarre combination of ignorance & sheer hubris. In their estimation, self imposing a bowl ban equated to admitting that the University (as opposed to just Tressel) was actually at some "fault" in the entire situation....which would have been contrary to their entire defense (chuck the Vest under the bus).

In short, Gene Smith rolled the dice.....and completely crapped out. Inexcusable.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The performance of Smith and Gee in this whole clusterfuck has been nothing short of preposterous.

Gee, the word is (I guess), is beloved by the academic and fundraising side, so he's probably pretty safe.

Although you can't really imagine the academics were too thrilled with his "Tressel has allowed me to stay" joke, even as a joke.

And it would look bad if they fired Smith at 8:01 a.m. tomorrow, as they really should do, so they'll probably hold off for a couple months or so and pull the ejection handle on him sometime in the spring.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced it's a misread. It's entirely possible the NCAA may have looked at the fact that OSU is 6-6 this year and slapped them with a ban next year even if OSU self-imposed one this year.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Can't do that at this point.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"Forfeiture of $338,811, which is the amount the university received through the Big Ten Conference revenue sharing for its appearance in the bowl game (self-imposed by the university)."

This kind of blew my mind. They play in an $18 mil bowl (I realize its less because they were the second Big 10 team) and the total haul for the conference is north of $40 million in payouts. You divide by 11 - subtract expenses and you get less than $350,000?

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Bowls are not the revenue generators (for schools) most people think they are.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think that would be too kind for OSU. They would happily skip the Gator Bowl this year if it meant that it could play in a bowl under Meyer next season.

But Hondo is right. You can't take them away from a bowl OSU has already committed to.

8. Re: Ohio State football sanctions to be announced at 3 p.m. EST

Shit no.
    Bowls are revenue generators for the Bowls... Most schools - even some of the BCS bowl schools - suffer large losses as a result of bowl trips.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

All the more reason why I don't understand why schools won't go to a playoff. The only ones making money are the bowls. This may be the ONLY instance in history where the schools AREN'T going for every last penny.

10. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

At this point, there's no way OSU could pull out. The number of people & organizations potentially screwed over in that scenario. are too many to count.

The interesting thing to watch, from this point, is how this precedent will impact future cases. Realistically, the offenses they were able to actually "pin" on OSU (aside from Tressel & his issues) were relatively minor. They responded in a fashion (cooperating with the NCAA, etc) that, in the past, would have left them in pretty good shape. Yet, they got nailed (relative to precedent) pretty hard.

I have to think that they're already starting to pucker up a bit, at places like UNC & Miami. If anything eventually comes from the smoke around Oregon, Auburn, etc........

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Re: Ohio State football gets one-year bowl ban; Meyer hit with 5-year "show cause"

Just updated the thread title. Was out of town on assignment all afternoon/night and couldn't get to it before now.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Re: Ohio State football gets one-year bowl ban; Meyer hit with 5-year "show cause"

Should update it again, as Tressel was hit with the "show cause".

Draft saved Draft deleted