1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohio State football gets one-year bowl ban; Tressel hit with 5-year "show cause"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 20, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Ohio State football sanctions to be announced at 3 p.m. EST

I was responding to your belief that Ohio State needs to get what USC got. That involved a hell of a lot more than "a postseason ban." It involved a two-year ban and a loss of scholarships that will be ruinous. There's a whole lot of room to punish tOSU without approaching the penalties USC faced.

Ohio State also fired Tressel. USC rode the ship all the way down with Mike Garrett, Pete Carroll and then one of his assistants as his successor, etc. Didn't shut down access, didn't admit fault, nothing. That makes a big difference.

The Sugar Bowl decision was bullshit, but it is what it is, as the kids say.

2. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I'm talking about cooperation at the point of the NCAA investigation on, not in terms of the initial infraction (whether that's turning a blind eye to agents' relationships with players or players receiving free tattoos). After firing Sweater Vest, Ohio State self-imposed sanctions (not strong enough but some) and has fully cooperated with the NCAA by any account I've seen. USC stonewalled and basically flipped the double middle finger at the NCAA and dared them to do something.

I'm a USC alum, but the school managed the investigation and fallout about as poorly as humanly possible, while Ohio State has said and done enough of the things that the NCAA wants to see to prove that they have been "humbled." That's why I mentioned the show-cause - it's a way for the NCAA to come down on the person associated with the initial, major infraction while sparing Ohio State the rod.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I do not expect them to get the exact same penalties as SC. But any sanctions without at least a one-year postseason ban, and the loss of at least one or two scholarships, are essentially meaningless. It's all well and good to punish Tressel with a show-cause order, but there is no question the program benefitted as well, ie being able to play in a BCS game in 2011 despite having used athletes it knew had received impermissible extra benefits for the entire season.

And yes, Garrett and Carroll were stonewalling dicks throughout the NCAA investigation. But then again, there's a reason it's been called the University of Spoiled Children for decades. Garrett was/is an arrogant jerk who thinks he's better than everyone and the rules don't apply to him, and Carroll just didn't care because he knew the NFL was in his future.

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

They've already self-imposed 5 schollies, so they'll get at least that. Wouldn't be shocking for the NCAA to add more to that, although the B1G doesn't do a lot of over singing, so it wouldn't be that big a hit. They've also vacated last season (including the bowl), given back the Sugar Bowl money, jettisoned their greatest coach in a generation, lost a (what would have been) 4 year starter at QB & gutted what would have been a (potentially) championship level team this year (with suspensions)

The interesting thing to watch, is the possible post season ban. By not self imposing that...particularly at the tail end of a crappy 6-6 season...is basically Gene Smith putting all his chips on the table, as to his future at tOSU.

You can count on a show-cause for Tressel, probably in the 3-5 year range. Ohio State's strategy since the start, was to lay this all at Tressel's feet. We'll see how that works out.

USC had no one but themselves to blame, for their situation. Their case stretched out over (I believe) 5 years. Today is within a day of the one year anniversary of tat-gate blowing up.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Joe Schad was just on ESPN, according to him there will be a one year bowl ban.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That would be hilarious if the Buckeyes said, "Let's do that Bowl ban now." and skipped the battle of big name teams with .500 records.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is Meyer's contract public yet? I wonder if he gets a bonus for every year of a bowl ban or other sanctions.

8. Mizzougrad96

I'd bet just about anything he does. Kiffin sure as hell did.

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Plain-Dealer: Postseason ban in 2012, loss of nine scholarships each in 2012-2014. Tressel also given a show-cause.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2011/12/ohio_state_buckeyes_football_p_4.html

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The scholarship bans seem fairly stiff, if this is true. Makes me wonder why Urban Meyer took this job when he could have had whatever job he wanted and not been hindered by NCAA sanctions.

11. Mizzougrad96

Meyer still would have taken the job.

12. Re: Ohio State football sanctions to be announced at 3 p.m. EST

Maybe he was genuine about this being a dream job.
    Maybe he thought Penn State would get hit harder.
    Maybe he didn't want to go to Texas A&M.

All reasonable answers

Draft saved Draft deleted