1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohio openings Chillicothe, Marietta

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mooninite, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Two Job Openings posted for Ohio...Chillicothe and Marietta sports writing gigs. I didn't see them listed so I thought I'd post 'em

Company: Chillicothe Gazette
    Position: Go beyond game coverage
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: August 23, 2007
    Job ID: 805775

Description:
    The Chillicothe Gazette has an immediate opening for a full-time Sports Reporter in the News department located in Chillicothe, Ohio. Responsibilities include reporting, writing and researching stories for the daily newspaper and our Web site. A passion for accuracy is essential.

A college degree, experience using Macintosh computers, QuarkXPress, and solid headline writing skills is required. Writing experience at a weekly or daily newspaper is preferred. This position includes night and weekend hours. We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.

Interested candidates should fax, email or mail resume, references and salary expectations to:

Michael Throne, Managing Editor Mail: Chillicothe Gazette 50 W. Main St. Chillicothe, OH 45601 Fax: (740 772-9505 Email: mthrone@nncogannett.com

Pre-Employment Drug Testing & Background Screening Required Equal Opportunity Employer

Company: The Marietta Times
    Position: Sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: August 15, 2007
    Job ID: 658025

Description:
    The Marietta Times, with a daily circulation of 12,000 serving southeast Ohio, has an immediate opening for a sports reporter. The full-time position involves covering local youth, community and school sports. Applicants must be proficient in writing game stories, features and breaking news articles. The job also includes sports copy desk work involving editing and page design. Prior knowledge of Quark is a plus. Candidates should have a college degree in journalism or a related field. Prior experience at a daily newspaper is preferred, but this is an ideal position for someone out of college or a journalism school. Send cover letter, resume and clips to managing editor Jennifer Houtman at 700 Channel Lane, Marietta, Ohio 45750 or by e-mail at jhoutman@mariettatimes.com.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I LOVED Marietta as a child. It's one of the oldest towns in Ohio. Has a lot of cool stuf for history buffs (or did).

Chillicothe was always kind of a dump, but I can't speak for it now.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Chillicothe is a metropolis compared to Porstmouth, which is less than a half hour south. Both have daily papers.

4. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Chillicothe's seen better days, but it's close to the Hocking Hills area, which is fabulous. Portsmouth is an absolute hole. But also once had an NFL team, the Spartans. Lost the 1932 title game to the Bears, moved a year later and became the Detroit Lions.

5. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Marietta is a nice small town, with a nice small college, Marietta college.
    Doubt you'll be covering any big time sports out that way, but the college is part of the Ohio Athletic Conference, which is a decent Division III conference.
    Most years, the OAC has several ranked football teams (including DIII powerhouse Mount Union), several ranked basketball teams, and at least one or two national caliber teams in most sports...
    Unfortunately, I think Marietta is rarely one of those national-caliber teams in any sport (although my OAC knowledge is a bit rusty)...

That part of ohio is beautiful, but its definately not the big-city life. Big difference from the Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus parts of the state where suburbia is slowly taking over.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Marietta is squarely in the part of Ohio that's part of Appalachia. It probably has more in common with West Virginia than the Cincinnati/Cleveland/Columbus trifecta.

Again, it's a great little town. Lots of history, and home to SC's childhood church.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I saw that fact at the HOF one year and about crapped myself. Portsmouth is an absolute hole. So is Chillicothe from what I"ve been told.

Can't speak for Marietta, know it has a college, that's about it. But southeast Ohio is Appalachia.

8. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Chillicothe is Gannett, FWIW.

9. KP

KP Active Member

Both cities are home to some great smells.
    Some of the oil refinieries up on OH 7 between Belpre and Marietta produce some of the foulest smells on Earth. Then again, it's not as bad as the smoke plume from the paper mill in Chillicothe that you can see for 10 miles away.

10. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Drove through Marietta more times than I would care to remember during my drives to and from Ohio University. I stopped a few times and was never disappointed with the town. I also never had to live there (I mean no offense, SC). I know nothing about the paper, but I remember a friend from college worked there briefly. He has since moved on to another paper.

If anything, I would love to have a few of Marietta's hills down in North Carolina. As a runner, I get pretty tired of all this flat land.

Draft saved Draft deleted