1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohio execution postponed after guards can't get IV started

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Sep 16, 2009.

1. It really sucks.
    That poor murdering rapist is now traumatized.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Federal 6th Circuit Court of Appeals halts an Ohio execution, cites Broom as caling into question both Ohio's execution procedures and the competency of its executioners: "Given the important constitutional and humanitarian issues at stake in all death penalty cases, these problems in the Ohio lethal injection protocol are certainly worthy of meaningful consideration."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091005/ap_on_re_us/us_death_penalty_ohio

3. I wish they would bring back the firing squad.

4. Or maybe we can draw and quarter him?

Or maybe a public stoning?

Or crucifixion?

Or let wild rats gnaw at him until he's dead?

This is my biggest problem with the death penalty. Many proponents cross the line from justice to blood lust, and don't understand the difference.

This isn't a movie or a video game.

5. You apparently have no problem with hyperbole.

No it isn't a movie or a video game.
    Execution by firing squad.. there is worry looking for a fucking vein.
    Firing squad and hanging both work as means of execution in my book.

I understand the difference completely. But thanks.

6. The poing being that as soon as I read about this in a NYT editorial this weekend I knew what the conservative reaction was going to be: "Fuck him! He deserves everything coming to him and more!"

And of course they haven't disappointed.

7. So what does a man sentenced to state execution deserve?
    A stay because they can't find a vein suitable enough to pump toxins into it to kill him?

8. To me, sending someone to the death chamber twice is "cruel and unusual punishment," although I believe that about capital punishment in general.

I just don't believe that someone convicted of first-degree murder is now deserving to whatever comes to him. It's probably the most difficult test of our humanity, and we fail it in the United States.

9. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

How macabre:

After about an hour, Broom tried to help. He turned onto his left side, slid rubber tubing up his left arm, began moving the arm up and down and flexed and closed his fingers.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Team player.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Maybe they should've tried the main vein.

Draft saved Draft deleted