1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohio Community Media decides it just doesn't care anymore

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 27, 2011.

1. I wouldn't say this is an indictment on HS football coverage. It is just a paper cutting cost even if it means honking people off. The Columbus Dispatch sends out a paper to most of the state, including counties surrounding Franklin County, where the Dispatch is, without OSU football night game stories because they are doing the same thing. And I know OSU football is very much cared about.

Most newspapers will be out of business or be a shell on the web in two years.

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Not sure what their deadlines are. But we recently switched print plants, giving us a 9:45 deadline every night -- that includes Friday, when the bulk of our football games start at 7.

Our EE has pushed me (thankfully) every week to do whatever I can to get as many scores and results into the Saturday paper. We live blog from two games; we cover a third; photogs run around like crazy to shoot as many as they can; she even volunteered her husband for game coverage, phone calls, whatever I need him for.

"Hectic" doesn't even do it justice. But we're doing more this year with less than we ever have done before.

Again, I can't speak to the Ohio deadlines, and the fact that they aren't a daily definitely hurts. We certainly don't get everything in Saturday, and it's nice to have a Sunday paper to fall back on.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

We're looking at this same possibility down the road if in fact the Post Office discontinues Saturday delivery. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Draft saved Draft deleted