1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohio Bobcats roll call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Mar 12, 2010.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

He replaced favorite son Larry Hunter on the promise that he would "take the program to the next level," and then earned exactly one NCAA bid in seven years, routinely fielded mediocre teams, and could never win big conference road games (one of his favorite pet phrases, "That's life on the road in the MAC," still infuriates people).

If O'Shea had come in after a really disastrous coach and had that run, nobody would've cared. But he followed local hero Hunter, who got the team into the conference semis before getting knocked out on a ridiculous shot in what ended up being his last game.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Personally I was glad to see Hunter get canned because it showed that we expected more than a bunch of mediocre 16- to 18-win seasons. Of course O'Shea did no better, so I was glad to see him go too.

3. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Hunter's last year was my freshman year. When they canned him after a pretty respectable season and a fluke tournament loss, my initial reaction was similar to yours: "Holy shit, they're not screwing around here."

O'Shea was in a hole to start with because he was replacing someone popular with the local community. When he failed to do any better, I think the venom only increased ... "We fired Larry Hunter for ...this?" Not to mention the perception that he was an outsider from the East Coast who never embraced Athens and always was thought to have one foot out the door.

Having dealt with O'Shea for a year (his worst, the 20-loss debacle in 2003-04), I thought he got a bit of a bum rap. I don't think he was quite the villain he was portrayed as by the locals. He just wasn't a very good coach.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

TOS was a pretty nice dude, from my limited experience with him. He thought OU was going to be a quick stop on his ascension to a major job. His wife was not happy about the move, from what I remember, which explains his move to Bryant, where they kept a house.

I still get a chuckle out of his insistence that recruiting Minnesota was a good move, because there's only D-I school there. That sure worked out well.

Groce seems to be heads and tails better, a top-notch recruiter for sure. He'll be gone in a year or two. If he manages to upset Georgetown, he might be out of there in a month.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Not a good draw for the Bobcats, but hey, anything can happen.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

On 364 days of the year, I root against the Bobcats as a Ball State grad.

Not today. MAC grads should stick together during the tournament. Go Bobcats!

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

BB, I'll be rooting for your Bobcats tonight.
    Not out loud though - I'm sitting about eight feet from them. Hopefully they get me an upset and something fun to write about.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Athens is going to burn tonight.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

You are correct sir.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Strike up The Trammps! It's going to be an inferno tonight!!!

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Somebody guard the game ball before PK steals it from a little kid.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

"Hey, we're all gonna get laid!"

Draft saved Draft deleted