1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh yeah, this is fair

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Yeah but if you quit smoking, you'd save the cost of a carton a week and the fine. Unless other smokers didn't give a shit. Then you have the right to be pissed off. ... which if you are a non-smoker, you already know that.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I read the post that J_D doesn't smoke and even if he does, he and the rest of the tenants (smokers and nonsmokers alike) will have to pay the fine. Just seems stupid to me.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Drew Carey?

4. dmc

dmc Guest

The place has to be cleaned up, someone has to pay. Hopefully the notice helps, but if not , the problem has to be taken care of. whats your suggestion?
    [/quote]

If he has to pay $25 for cigarette butts he isn't dropping then I suggest he just starts throwing all of his trash outside.
    Why should he have to pay?
    Why don't they just figure out who smokes and make them pay? Or put ash trays outside or have their maintenance people pick up the trash.
    [/quote]

The poor baby! why should HE have to pay! It appears that they are trying to solve the problem by sending out the notices. I dont know anything more about how its being taken care of. I dont know anything about how they can find out who it is. You have to ask him all those questions.
    But if you live in an apartment complex and their are costs associated with it, then you all have to pay. what is so hard to understand about that?

Believe me, I would love to have some solution to the morons who throw out their butts. I would love to see people use a little peer pressure to get others to stop doing that. It is accepted behavior and people have to deal with the mess it makes.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Except there's a problem with that: Part of JD's daily duties do not include -- and should not include -- playing cigarette butt police for his apartment complex's owners.

Telling someone to pick up their own goddamn cigarette butts is fine until you come across a guy who's 6-foot-5, 320 pounds and looks like he's just finished a workout for the Bengals. Sure, go ahead and impose your will on that asshole and see what happens.

The apartment complex, should it feel the need to more strictly police these things, should hire someone to do it, then pass along the cost to all the residents. This shit where you penalize non-smoking residents in isolated areas of the complex will only lead to vigilantism, and we know where the hell that'll take things.

6. gretchd

gretchd Member

First, your tone is far more nasty than this situation warrants. JD's a good guy and doesn't deserve this kind of shit from you.

Second, why SHOULD he have to pay? He doesn't smoke. The butts aren't his.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yes

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Uhm....what?

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my first post. I don't smoke, and I never litter the grounds here. I'm a model tenant: rarely complain, and never generate complaints. Pay my rent on time.

I'm sure this note was meant to solve the problem because of the threat of the fee, but if that doesn't work, there's no way I'm paying it.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am 99.9 percent certain that $25 fee was an empty threat.

If not, I suggest you offer to clean the butts of your neighbors for half that price.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That is the warning in the notice. The management is going to pass along any additional costs to all tenants. That's the $25.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm sure they'll hide it in the next rent increase.

Draft saved Draft deleted