1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh what a feeling: Toyota issues massive recall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by murphyc, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

My better half has a story today that looks at 25 of the 43 fatal accidents involving claims of sudden Toyota acceleration, including some stories no one else has told.

The claims are far from black and white, which is the most interesting aspect IMO. There are clear instances of DUI where they're blaming sudden acceleration. One that may be a suicide. Some very elderly drivers. Lots of shades of gray:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-03-14-crashes-involving-toyotas-raise-questions-victim-profiles_N.htm

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

There is 1 bright side to all this and I mean this with all due respect to anyone involved with these incidents: you can get a frigging great deal on a Toyota right now.
    I just leased a 2010 RAV4 for $219 a month, it's the basic model, not a lot of frills, but all I had to pay was the first month and $60 for DMV.
    I was paying $356 for a Mercury Mariner, so when you add it up, I'm saving about $5 grand over 3 years.
    Yeah, I'll take my chances.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Toyota settles for 1.2 bil.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/20/business/toyota-reaches-1-2-billion-settlement-in-criminal-inquiry.html?hp&_r=0

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I liked this, from Boom's link:

IMHO, while a handful of design problems and/or manufacturing issues can cause car safety concerns, 99.9 percent of accidents — including several in this Toyota investigation — are caused by driver error and/or stupidity.

And yes, we have two Camrys in our garage (a 1995 and 2005 model).

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Coco, that's what Toyota always tried to say. Kind of evaporated though with the CHP officer (highly trained as a driver, of course) called 911 and the fatal crash was audio recorded.

Also the $1.2 billion fine is a pretty high number, probably above the level that could be considered doing away with a nuisance. Looks like Toyota believed it had some real exposure here.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Interesting that while Toyota and Obama Motors are both involved in high-profile recall cases, Holder only feels the need to comment on the Toyota recalls,

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not particularly "interesting." Toyota just settled a four year criminal investigation that was being led by the justice department. The whole GM thing hasn't early played itself out to that extent, and even if GM is under criminal investigation, the AG wouldn't comment on an ongoing investigation that might end up in a court room -- just as he wasn't out constantly commenting on the Toyota investigation while it was still ongoing.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A bit of a threadjack, but didn't want to start a new Toyota thread:

The company is moving its North America headquarters from Torrance, Calif., to Plano, Texas:

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-toyota-move-20140429,0,4511724.story#axzz30IODzK4y

Pretty big change for Toyota employees and their families. And that's 3,000 really good jobs leaving SoCal for the Big D.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's a big get for Texas, which is actively recruiting California companies to move to a lower-tax state.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Companies have been moving jobs from California to Texas for 20+ years because of lower employee costs. Despite how Rick Perry might beat his chest, a move like that is nothing new.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

http://gawker.com/rick-perry-is-a-domestic-financial-terrorist-1569225313?fb_action_ids=10152354226609710&fb_action_types=og.likes

"Domestic financial terrorist" may be a mite harsh, but I agree with the point that states and cities bidding against each other for jobs -- and willing to give away the store to get them -- is not good for the U.S. economy. Basically, it's a less-than-zero-sum game because you have governments -- tax dollars -- paying for the move. If Toyota believed Texas was a better environment and wanted to go there, fine, but to get $40 million in tax money for doing so doesn't do anyone, except Toyota, any favors.

Draft saved Draft deleted