1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh what a feeling: Toyota issues massive recall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by murphyc, Jan 27, 2010.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

ESPN's David Newton ferreted the root cause out yesterday. As he noted on Twitter, it's "those dang JGR magnets again."

2. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Own a 'Yota myself. Have had success with them, but I've seen the company's dealer-run service really decline over the past few years. Used to have full confidence in Toyota service. Not so much now and good service goes far in my buying criteria.

Anyone seen similar drop off?

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

This could be the tip of an ugly iceberg for Toyota. The L.A. Times' story about Toyota hiding defects and such was pretty damning.

I also love Toyota saying that suspending sales of cars affected by the recall was voluntary even though it is required by law. Nice spin.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

Not their year, I guess.<blockquote>The Japanese government said Wednesday that it had ordered Toyota to investigate a possible defect in its newest Prius hybrid model after receiving 14 reports of brake trouble, another blow for an automaker already embroiled in its biggest-ever recall.

The drivers have complained that the brakes on their Priuses have momentarily stopped working when driving at low speeds, especially on slippery surfaces, said Kenji Sato, a transport ministry official in charge of recall policy.

In one incident in July 2009 in Japan, a Prius collided with another vehicle at an intersection, hurting two people. Ten of the 14 complaints in Japan about the new Prius, which went on sale here last May, came in January.

In the United States, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has logged 111 complaints about the brakes on the 2010 Prius. Many are from drivers who say the vehicle surged forward or temporarily lost braking after driving over a pothole or other uneven surface, and many say it is a recurring problem.</blockquote>http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/business/global/04prius.html

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

YES! I'll stop just short of saying they are "making up" or "creating" problems to fix. The jury's still out.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

How good would it be to see a Toyota win the Daytona 500 and the driver make some crack about how it was easy 'cause the pedal was stuck to the floor.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How about if it could not break and keep going around until it ran out of gas.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Moving forward-whether you want to or not!

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I'm surprised they haven't changed the slogan yet. It's difficult to see one of their ads now without doing exactly what you did.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt I'd ever buy anything but a Toyota based on the 1989 Celica that I bought new and ran for 12 years and the 1999 RAV4 I now own. The RAV has 220K miles on it. I've gotten 90K and 101K miles off the first two sets of tires. I've only had the front brakes done once, the rear breaks not yet. Still on the original clutch. Had the bearings in the right front replaced at about 210K miles. Still on the original clutch. Have had the timing belt replaced I think about four times as a matter of routine maintenance. Had new plugs and some belts replaced last year (again, as a matter of maintenance). And the thing still drives like it did the day I drove it off the lot back in 1999.

They'll come through this rough time. And in 2011 and beyond they'll still be making cars much of much higher quality than GM or Chrysler or Ford.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

I guess Toyota can afford to eat the cost of that recall.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyota-profit5-2010feb05,0,2913586.story

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Speaking of the L.A. Times, here is a link to a column from today. The column includes links to other stories as well.
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hiltzik4-2010feb04,0,817396.column?track=rss

Draft saved Draft deleted