1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh what a feeling: Toyota issues massive recall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by murphyc, Jan 27, 2010.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the Toyota Camry may lose the title of best-selling car in the U.S. after this slight stumble:

Thing is, to most of America this will be a shock because Toyota has such a strong reputation for quality. The Japanese nameplates, Toyota and Honda in particular (and their affiliated offshoots) have become synonymous with quality and reliability, while the American nameplates have the opposite stigma. But this isn't the first time Toyota's had issues, just google "Toyota oil sludge settlement" and you'll see.
  2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It'll be good for Ford and GM, but may be a tad late for the latter. The GM dealer in my town shut down last week -- lock, stock and Silverados.
  3. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

When I had to buy a car last summer, I was not impressed with Toyota's at all. Glad I steered clear.

Because of their rep, Toyota's are slightly over-priced too. I imagine this might have a dampening effect on that.
  4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Just another reason to buy a Honda.

The thing is, last year at this time when I was looking at buying a car, Toyota's rep had already started taking a hit.
  5. JR

JR Active Member

Toyota is where Chrysler, Ford & GM were a decade or so ago: riding on their laurels, figuring they were bullet-proof. I had a '94 Camry which I loved. We rented a 2009 Camry Hybrid last summer in Vancouver. Nice car but not worth the $40 or so K.

Up here anyway, GM is going right after the Camry with their Malibu.
  6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Active Member

When I bought a new car a year or so ago, I went with Nissan. Had a '95 camry you would not get me to say a bad word about, but will echo the sentiment here that Toyotas have become overpriced.

BTW, when was the last time a Detroit automaker shut down production to address a problem? (it may have happened recently, I'm just not aware)
  7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I loved my Nissan Sentra. When I can get this monstrosity paid off I'm driving now, I'll be 90 percent sure to get another Nissan. Loved it.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Bought our Sienna in '96 and it still runs like a top and held up extremely well. However, at that time, Toyota was at the top of the heap reputation-wise but not that high a premium. Also had a '98 Camry which was great and resold for top dollar. Still love them. Recall would change the game somewhat.

We also have an Infinity G35 and love that so guess Nissan is a pretty good maker.

Even though had Mustangs for almost 20 years, hard to go back to an American brand.
  9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

Cannot go wrong with Toyota, Nissan or Honda. Have driven a pair of Nissan and am now in a Honda product. Can vouch for those two manufacturers.

One mechanic whose word is near-gospel to me will tell anyone that if you were to consider just one manufacturer, it's Toyota. Yeah, this is a goof, but it's not exploding gasoline tanks. Toyota will be fine.
  10. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

It will be interesting to see if this destroys Toyota sales like the bogus 'sudden acceleration' charges against Audi by Ed Bradley on 60 Minutes, Alice Weinstein and her Audi Victims Network did 23 years ago. Audi's sales dropped 60% after 60 Minutes broadcasted the bogus charges. Later it was proven that 'sudden acceleration' was caused by driver error and not a design flaw in the Audi 5000 vehicles.

For those too young to remember that case see:

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

Point taken, Oscar, but did people stop buying Fords after the exploding gasoline tanks issue with the Pinto?
  12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

The Big 3 were resting on their laurels in the 1970s, not a decade ago. It's also not a coincidence that many American cars from the 1970s were crap, both in terms of engineering and quality.
    I like the looks of the current Malibu, much better looking than the '05 Malibu Maxx we own. But knowing about the steering and suspension issues that have long plagued GM front drive sedans (including ours, which the dealer claimed was not the same as the steering issue that led to a quiet recall), I'm not in any rush to buy a new Malibu even if I did have the money to do so.
Draft saved Draft deleted