1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh, @$#!, Valentine's Day is right around the corner

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by amraeder, Feb 5, 2011.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I love a good Michael Cage reference.

Anyhoo, the hotel and meal deal kinda sucked. We both agreed while the idea was fine, the execution on the Hilton's part blew monkey balls. Food was middling and they screwed up a hotel breakfast.

But she delivered in spades with a couples massage this evening, leaving here shortly.

So remember fellas, she should be expected to do something for you.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You're a real charmer.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

We are in a culture that demands implusive, bi-polar women should be catered to at every whim, every sniff of indecision.

For a few years, I wanted to 'be the jerk' over Valentine's Day. Glad I did it.

Can't do it now... I just have to roll my eyes and hope that me shelling out on Valentine's Day will cancel out being treated like crap 355+ days a year.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Taking the lady to a nice dinner on Wednesday when I don't work.

Wendy's, here we come!

5. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I went traditional this year -- flowers, a card and jewelry. Got the jewelry on Overstock.com, I found out they have a ton of rings in various sizes both small and large, at every price point imaginable. I wouldn't buy anything too expensive there, but they have a solid selection at great prices. I'll probably shop there again, because good luck finding a size 5 ring at a mall store or stand-alone retail jeweler (and I try to avoid waiting for/dealing with resizing when I can). $2.95 shipping for the whole order, priority mail.

She got me some clothes I've been needing and a cologne that really suits me.

It was a very nice Valentine's. Of course the actual day's tomorrow, but we'll both be working so no time to do anything much on the actual day.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Valentine's Day has morphed in our house. Now, I get the princesses a gift - this year it was pedicures - while my wife gets my son something.

No dinner out of course. I gotta work, probably the only married person in the entire newsroom to have to work tonight.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

mrs. shockey, bless her heart, declared 'valentine's day' a 'contrived, convoluted' celebration years ago. no doubt swayed by the anniversary of our meeting coming on feb. 19 (this is our 26th!)

so we make it personal, to the dismay of hallmark and flower shops... though they get our biz in five days anyway...
    e
    but seriously, we ceased 'celebrating' pretty much all holidays years ago once every penny started going into college fees for the stooges. and believe you me, those college bills just keep on comin' -- no. 1 son is a junior, no. 2 son is a graduating h.s. senior and no. 3 son is a soph, laying in the weeds.

'valentine's day?' bah, humbug. that's for single folk in the wooing process.

Draft saved Draft deleted