1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh, @$#!, Valentine's Day is right around the corner

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by amraeder, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

March 14th is better.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Amen.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I'll celebrate Valentine's Day by working, then covering a city council work session chased by a school board meeting.
    In other words, we'll be doing something on Feb. 13.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Buy her a blender, a belt sander, and a dress that is two sizes too big.
    You won't ever have these worries about inspiration again.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I was thinking a fifth of Jaeger and a boxed-set copy of 2G1C video would take care of it ...

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Considering how crowded (not to mention expensive) it can be to go out on Valentine's Day evening, might it be possible for you to go out on the town on the night before, when you'll have your pick of where to go and not be so crowded?

You could spring a surprise that way and keep Valentine's Day for a stay-in evening reserved for, um, more interpersonal activities. Getting loaded up on heavy food and alcohol at dinner doesn't make for an inspiring evening ... I'm told.

7. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

amraeder: The best gift you could give her is a night at my place.

(Oh come on, I'm just kidding!)

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Coors and Mario Kart, my man. Coors and Mario Kart.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Ha. :)

Nothing says romantic like holding onto a blue turtle shell so she can win.
    Yeah, we'll most-likely be doing our V-Day activities on that Saturday, just because of how our schedules shake down. So, hopefully we should have our pick of places. Just trying to figure out what to do (besides stopping by Joel's place).

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At this stage of our lives, my wife and I almost don't care about Valentine's Day. The first few years we were together, it was a huge deal.

Now it's, "Do you want to do anything?" "I dunno, do you want to do anything?" and neither of us really care. If we do anything, we just go out to dinner without the kids.

11. Many of the restaurants our way are offering Valentine's specials all weekend long. Yeah, they're desperate. I have to work that night, so we'll go out on the 15th.

But the flowers will arrive on the 14th -- otherwise she'll think I forgot.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Flowers on the 14th, obviously. But we're going out to dinner with the wife's sister and brother in law the Saturday before. Zippy chance I fight with trying to make a reservation with a million other donks trying to impress their chicks. No thanks.

Full disclosure...I was one of those donks a few years ago when I used Valentine's Day to propose. Ugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted