1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh, @$#!, Valentine's Day is right around the corner

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by amraeder, Feb 5, 2011.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

So, I just realized today that I don't have a whole lot of planning time left until Valentine's Day weekend. I've been so caught up in student teaching that I haven't given it a second of thought. So, of course, I turn to the best source for advice on all things to do with love -- SportsJournalists.com.

What good Valentine's Day dates have you been a part of? I'm hoping other people's stories will give me some inspiration.

This will be my third V-day with the girlfriend (who some of you met at the Cleveland SJ outing). The last two Valentine's Days were roaring successes. On one we went to the botanical gardens. On the other we went to the art museum.

Anyway, send some inspiration this way!! :)

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The new Hilton in my town has a Valentine's deal: King room, dinner and breakfast the next day for two in the hotel restaurant or room service. Also champagne and a dozen chocolate covered strawberries for $150.

Even though the hotel is about 15 miles away, it will be nice to get out for a night. Have a nice meal, lounge in the hotel pool/hot tub while getting wasted on free champagne. Then breakfast and back home in the morning, when we stumble up.

So my advice is check with you local hotels to see if they are running something similar. I think I got a pretty good deal.

3. sostartled

sostartled Member

I'm friggen terrible at these kind of events (Valentines Day, Birthdays, Anniversaries). I can remember when they are, I just can't get motivated in enough time to do something nice. Anytime I do ANYTHING more than a gift/flowers and a card, my wife is blown away. I think this is one of the years I'll try something extra. Just not sure what yet. Open to ideas.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Oh hell, AM, don't make me go starting Depression Thread No. IV (or whatever it is).

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I mostly hate Valentine's Day because my birthday is the day after and the celebrations/presents often get folded together. I've solved that problem this year by pre-buying my own presents on the Internets! That way, if the fiance falls down on the job, it won't matter. But I digress. Anyway, I always think a nice homemade dinner is great because you avoid all the crowds and ridiculous overpricing at restaurants. I would suggest doing that and making a big ta-da by dressing up and setting the table like a restaurant. You could even be the waiter and serve her as if she's at a restaurant. Or do it picnic style by putting a blanket on the floor and turning up the heat so it seems like it's summer! The rest of the evening, you're on your own...

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I hate all gift-giving holidays, and my wife knows it.

I particularly hate birthdays.

I wanted to stand up and cheer on "Mad Men" when Don told Peggy: "You're 30 years old. Don't you think it's about time to stop caring about birthdays?!"

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I'm completely unattached, Nothing to worry about.

8. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

... well, if I wasn't depressed before, I sure am now!

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Sorry to those getting bummed out. This wasn't supposed to be a depressing thread -- just a: inspire amraeder thread.

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I agree with pressboxer.... I'm actually ecstatic when Valentine's Day has come and gone... It ends the "holiday" season ... Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, my birthday and Valentines. Being single and away from family during that time can get old.

As for inspiring amreader, do something totally out of character... I'm sure a hotel near you is doing that kind of deal. Or find a restaurant that is out of your normal price range or style.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with a Hilton, fell in love there and never looked back. V Day is a bogus holiday but if it means something to your girl, make it nice for her. Otherwise, convince her that every day is V Day since you met her.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I get a three-week extension.

March 8 (International Women's Day) is the biggie in Chez BTExpress.

Draft saved Draft deleted