1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh, the weather outside is frightful

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Dec 9, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yesterday was cold and very windy. Today? Rain, and lots of it.

Where was this stuff back in June, July, August and September? We lost the better part of two gardens because of the minimal rainfall.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Right now I can't wait to get back East and see snow. I give it until the first day in late January when I have to walk to class in below zero temps before I begin cursing myself.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This I want to see...
    They're calling for 50 degrees as a low tonight and tomorrow morning, but calling for a chance of snow.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just par for the course here in the Gulf South. A typical winter week goes like this:
    Day 1 and Day 2: Sunny, highs around 60s; lows in the 40s at night.
    Day 3: Clouding up, high spikes into the low 70s, and it starts getting windy.
    Day 4: Thunderstorms, possibly severe, chance of tornadoes.
    Day 5: Freezing-ass cold. Highs in the 40s, lows in the 30s or even uppers 20s at night, with a steady and brisk 15-20 mph wind as the front passes.
    Day 6 and 7: Sunny, highs in the 50s and 60s, as we prepare for the next cycle.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

It's pouring with "lots of wind."

Then again, lots of wind to these Kentuckians is a light breeze compared to Kansas and West Texas. Apparently, here, a 20-30 mph breeze is worthy of a wind advisory.

It never gets old making fun of these wimps around here when it comes to their weather.

Let's see...two big weather changes for me (both in Kansas): last year, it was 75 degrees the Monday of Thanksgiving week and by Wednesday, we had snow coming down by the boatloads and it was actually sticking.

Then, on my 20th birthday (which was on the Sunday-end of Thanksgiving break), we were in a tornado warning and then got snow...within 12 hours.

EDITED because I'm not awake yet.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's funny.

When this storm front started moving through yesterday, we had steady winds in the 50 mph range with gusts up to 70. There was a lot of dust flying.

Right now, it is ass out. It's 34 degrees which isn't really cold, but with 40 mph winds, it is biting.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Sack up and deal with it, Nancy. Try living in Chicago. :p

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

True. It's really not that bad compared to Idaho, but it's been awhile since I had to deal with this stuff.

I'm more amused by the guy from San Diego on our staff who is terrified of driving today, despite the fact the snow isn't sticking.

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Yesterday: the high was 17 degrees, the low 6 degrees.

Today: High of 39, low of 25, two inches of snow.

10. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

That's true. I forgot you lived in Idaho. Fuck, this should be shorts weather for you. :D

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

The rain has stopped (for now) and the sun is trying to shine.

What is this snow everyone keeps speaking of???

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You've been to my spot in Virginia ... you remember that huge hill that leads into my complex? Yeah, I understand how you feel.

Draft saved Draft deleted