1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh, Suzy Q

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Feb 10, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

This from Michael Heistand in Monday's USA Today.

The latest tweak in ESPN's Monday Night Football will try addition by subtraction: Reporters Suzy Kolber and Michele Tafoya, although they'll be at games, will be largely shelved.
    MNF needs to rein in the chat. It had Kolber and Tafoya getting about as much air time as any sideline reporters in TV sports, as well as an outgoing three-man booth —Tony Kornheiser, Ron Jaworski and Mike Tirico — plus celebs dropping by to add to the chorus.

Although their roles will be greatly reduced, Kolber and Tafoya could pop up on ESPN and espn.com pregame and postgame shows — or even on TV during games if there is news to report. Said ESPN's Mike Soltys Sunday: "Their precise roles are currently being determined."

Sounds to me as if no reporters at all unless something happens. Makes sense, but only for the fact of that there is too much going on in the 3-man booth.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Of course, there's someone there who could be cut back and not missed at all.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

I'm wondering if we're not going to hear about that next.
    It's wdiely known in the industry that he doesn't get along with the production team and the job isn't what he thought it would be.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

What is the story there? Is he abusive?

So he's been made to understand now that he's just not funny. Those sorts are always the last to know.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you.

Would you like me to put a little cream in yours, honey?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

There were rumors around here last summer and fall that Kornheiser wasn't going to go back after this past year.

Meanwhile, his radio show has returned and while I haven't listened yet, the incessant commercials they play hyping it on TV here are brutally bad. Just clips of him saying cliched things over the course of a show or two, mostly about himself, while his chosen lackeys laugh as if it's the funniest thing ever.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They could cut out all the celebrity drop-ins. too.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'm a huge fan of TK on the radio, and he's as good as ever there. He laughs about those commercials, too.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No chance. Cross-promotion. The Disney dance of death.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I was pretty quick to criticize Erin Andrews early in her career for being all stylle and no substance, but last fall she kept coming up with good stuff during college broadcasts. I can't speak to the MNF broadcasts because I did not watch any of them in 2007, but I'd have no qualms with EA being added. Mainly because I don't plan to watch them in 2008 either ...

11. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Thats my wife, she just does not know it yet....

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Like that'll ever happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted