1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh, so that's how to save newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Hey, now ... I used to work for a paper that had Bret 'The Hitman' Hart write a weekly column. It can't get much worse than reading how he was training his pug to wrestle. Can it?

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Well, actually, if he's doing it for free...

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I'm not a fan of U2 or Bono. At all. And I'd agree that he's a media whore. But it's pretty weak to criticize the guy for the work he's doing, no matter the timing. Does he do a lot of stuff to promote his albums? Sure, but who doesn't? It's hard to argue that he has done a lot of good for people who really needed the help and has brought a lot of attention to causes that could use it.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

June 2008 G8 Summit ... Bono requests a meeting with Prime Minister Stephen Harper ... Harper says no thanks ... 'meeting celebrities isn't my shtick.'

Most of the news stories ran a shot of W. wrapping his arm around Bono.

I became a full-blooded Tory that day.

5. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Bono strikes me as genuinely interested in his causes. I don't have a problem with his charity work, it's honest. As far as the NY Times column, as long as he writes it, I got have problem with him getting the forum. Beats Bill Kristol.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Can I criticize him for paying no taxes in Ireland?

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I remember that. Didn't that story get hige play in Canada? Harper blowing Bono off?
    In other news: I'm subscribing to the Sunday Times next week. When they ask why, I'll tell them its because Bono is writing a column, I might specifically ask for Sunday, just so I can get my Bono.
    That isn't why of course, but it will be funny.

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I wasn't familiar with that, but I think that's fair. I just don't think the timing of his charitable work is a fair criticism, since he seems to do it constantly. Honestly, I don't pay him much mind, since I don't like the guy much. There's no doubt he's a publicity hound, but I respect the work he does.
    If I saw the article referenced above, I might change my mind. Anyone have a link? I did a quick search but found nothing.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

It was a big story. And he did win over a large number of fans that day.

Draft saved Draft deleted