1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh, so that's how to save newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bono to start writing op-ed columns and podcasting for the NYT ...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bono-to-Write-New-York-Times-bw-14014284.html

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Well, he surely doesn't need any compensation to be happy. No wonder they're so happy about his presence.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Must have a new album coming out soon.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"No Line On the Horizon." March 3.

[​IMG]

5. Pete Incaviglia

Shocking. Biggest piece of shit, sellout media whore ever.

There was actually a piece written about how Bono does these types of things (and bigtime charity work) in a timely fashion just before an album drops.

I wish I could find it. It was fascinating.

6. PCLoadLetter

It would also largely be bullshit. The guy's pretty tireless in working for the charities he supports. He may time something like a NYT column to coincide with an album release, but to suggest he does the charity work to promote the CD is pretty chickenshit.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wake me up when Win Butler starts a blog.

8. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

There is nothing pro about that Bono.

9. Pete Incaviglia

I didn't write the article, but I'm telling you, it was pretty convincing — the timing, the numbers, the sales, etc.

They listed all the bands more recent album debuts and coincidentally he either performed at the super bowl, met with some head of state, announced a charitable donation, etc. within months of the debut.

I'm not saying what he doesn't for charity isn't honorable, hell, he does more than some/most governments. I'm just saying all the timing is fishy.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've noticed other major papers often doing similar things in the past year or two -- using big-name athletes, or former athletes, or former TV broadcast personalities, and such, to write stories and/or contribute to newspapers' blogs online.

For the papers, it seems to be just a just a name-recognition thing. So, maybe that's what we all need: more public face/fame time. It's clear that, when it comes to online readers' interests, especially, celebrity matters.

It's another thing that bothers me, having all these people who are, essentially, taking up jobs and doing work that newspaper people could/should be doing.

11. PCLoadLetter

There's a pretty massive gulf between performing at the Super Bowl and going to Africa on an aid mission, wouldn't you think?

Over the last two years he has had nothing to promote. I'm a TV news producer - I would bet you that I have seen the network feed video of Bono on a charity mission or meeting with heads of state regarding those charity missions at least a dozen times in those two years.

I would think Bono's at the point of his career where he continues the music career to support the charity work.

12. NDub

NDub Guest

What do you all think about these guest columns? Do you feel... insulted or your work belittled? Bono doesn't write for our papers but a local retired coach or some golf pro might. Do you think it's insightful work and beneficial to the paper? Or does reading his/her stuff make you feel like your work isn't as important because "anyone can write for the paper." I'm sure blog jokes will be made.

Draft saved Draft deleted