1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh Snap! Oral history of Theismann's broken leg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, he did have that plane crash in '75. If I remember right, he broke his back.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Yeah I knew that, I was thinking of in-ring stuff.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The video doesn't seem to be on the Internet anywhere, but Letterman did a bit in December 1985 on "Least Popular Holiday Gifts," one of which was the Joe Theismann Pencil Sharpener.

You put a pencil in a hole on top of the helmet and pressed down, and the leg shot out at an odd angle. You then cranked the leg to sharpen your pencil.

4. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Didn't a Washington newscaster snap a pencil in half to demonstrate to viewers what had happened?

I had never heard the story in the Theismann article about the blood squirting up and hitting the ref (and was happier not having heard it, frankly). Also, a bit of context about Cathy Lee Crosby's wisecrack about his punting career being over: the week before Joe had volunteered to punt when the regular punter was hurt, and shanked a one-yard punt.

The NFL Films library must include some incredibly horrific stuff, when you think of the number of cameras they have on every game.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

This is one that immediately came to mind. It was one of the few ones where I saw how bad of a snap it was in real time. Didn't even need a slow-mo replay to see how ugly it was.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Theismann also returned punts his first year in the NFL, which means he was a pretty good athlete.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The punt wasn't the week before, it was in '85 against the Bears.

In McMahon's book, he wrote about how Theismann was criticizing him for how he carried himself, with the sunglasses, etc. When reporters asked McMahon to respond, he said he didn't respond to anyone who couldn't punt a football longer than one yard.

Other fun stuff about Theismann, the pronunciation of his name was changed at Notre Dame to rhyme with Heisman.

8. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

The broken leg was also in '85; they played the Bears in late September, not the week before as I had believed. I should have checked that first.

9. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

The way his career ended, his long years of bad broadcasting, and his general reputation for being a self-absorbed, self-promoting jerk have resulted in how good a player Joe was being somewhat forgotten. Other than Montana he was the best quarterback in the NFC from 80 through 84.

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Any old-timers out there who remember Lions wide receiver Chuck Hughes collapsing on the field and dying of a heart attack in the final minute of a game against the Bears at Tiger Stadium? This was in the days before saturation coverage of the NFL, so it wasn't shown repeatedly in the days after it happened and I'm not sure any old clips exist. As a young Bears fan who was watching the broadcast, I'll never forget seeing the doctors on the field attempting to perform CPR.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yeah, Dravecky's was awful. Tony Saunders on the (Devil) Rays, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted