1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh, say can you shut up?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rambler, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

And they're coming, to your cit-tayyyy!

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't remember the reason. It was years ago.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Another annoyance...people clapping for recorded versions of the anthem. Why?

4. The same reason I clap while listening to my Cheap Trick at Budokan album ... oh, wait, I don't. Well, except for when he says slowly, "I want you, to want me." Gives me goosebumps everytime.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Man the Whitney version still makes me tingle! See what crack will do for you. Maybe Carl Lewis should have done some smack before trying to sing his rendition!

Ever think of that? Maybe it actually works. I think I'll do it before trying out for American Idle next time around.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Whitney version is a classic. So hearing it on a bad high school sound system before a volleyball match with 35 spectators always seemed a little silly to me.

7. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

seriously, i'd rather listen to carl lewis sing the thing than have to sit through the piercing, out-of-control, screeching, yodeling "look-at-me" histrionics of whitney houston

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

Except the Whitney Houston version wasn't performed live, it was lip-synched at the Super Bowl.

JR: What was the reason God of God Keep Our Land got a line in the Canadian national anthem/pre hockey game song.

Red Smith Clone: Who is Big and Who is Rich?

9. Remember Marvin Gaye?
    He used to sing to me

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Actually, reports of the day had it as Houston singing along with her recording, which the NFL insists upon in case the microphone goes on the fritz. Still a doozy of a rendition.

So, gang, who -- and Marvin Gaye has already been nominated -- has done the best Banner before a sports event? Chime in, please.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

1. Gaye. 2. Feliciano. 3. Houston.

12. Also, the press box is not the place to express your own politics. You're representing your paper/website. Now we know that Yahoo hates America.

Draft saved Draft deleted