1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh, say can you shut up?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rambler, Nov 23, 2007.

1. I am old enough to remember when NOT standing up for the anthem was a minor political statement against an unpopular and criminal foreign war. In the context of our discussion here, what if those days come back again? The recent precedents involving athletes who demonstrate are not promising.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Reminds me of "The Anthem Sprinters," a short story by Ray Bradbury. Back when they still did the same in Ireland, only after the movie was over. As you can guess, there was a mad dash to leave the hall before the first notes of the song began, because decorum mandated that you remain still once the music was going.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Remembrance Day.

I think they may play it on Parliament Hill aka FB's Castle on New Year's Eve.

4. You guys don't count.
    I meant us'n down here.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I haven't done that, but when Kweisi Mfume spoke at my university graduation, I refused to stand up in protest while other people stood up and applauded him.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, why?

7. Good for you, if that's the way you feel.
    But the Anthem, I assure you, is a whole 'nother thing.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I hear it a lot at school events.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm respectful of the Anthem these days.

However, in my radical youth, that wasn't the case. Once at a ballgame, I was down on the concourse and when my buddy and I wouldn't take our caps off, this one big dude yelled at us several times during the music. After the Anthem, I realized the guy was one of the ushers.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I only get pissed off when people start cheering before HC hits the high note at the end.

And only two more weeks until Saginaw's in town and she gets to do the Star Spangled Banner.

Owner of the Battalion says she's the best anthem singer in the OHL in BOTH countries.

I respectfully, albeit with prejudice, agree.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

As long as the anthem is performed live I have no problem with it. When someone hits play on the 4-minute Whitney Houston version, I get a little irritated.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

God bless Carl Lewis:

http://users.rcn.com/pkatcher/audio/carllewis.mp3

Draft saved Draft deleted