1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh, say can you shut up?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rambler, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Rambler

Rambler Member

So, I'm in the press box tonight for an NHL game and the National Anthem is being sung and two yahoo reporters are chatting away rather loudly next to me. Not work talk, either. About halfway through I turn to them and say, "can you guys show a little respect?" and they look at me like I'm an alien and keep on talking.
    I got more and more pissed but ate it and decided not to make an issue of it. They didn't talk as much during the Canadian anthem but weren't totally quiet during it, either.
    Anybody have this happen? I mean, how freaking hard is it to be quiet for two minutes for the anthem? I'm not overly patriotic, but for me it's a respect issue.
    Are media types exempt from paying attention to the anthem? Should I have chucked the Canadian (yeah, they were Canadians) mopes into the stands? What recourse other than telling them to shut the hell up would there have been? Run to the PR staff?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Write a huge article about it criticizing them for not respecting the National Anthem. Works for the media in villifying Mahmoud Abdul-Raouf, Toni Smith, and Carlos Delgado; so it should work the other way around.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

You handled it well.

If they do keep it up, I don't think it's unreasonable to pass it on.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I've seen guys continue to sit and work during the national anthem, but never talk to the point of being bothersome.

Knowing some people who fought in WWII and other conflicts, and just out of simple respect, it pisses me off when they ignore it. I guess after years in the business some people become immune to it. I don't.

If it bothers you enough and you know the guys, talk with them.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Phone Homeland Security and have them sent to Syria.

That'll teach 'em.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'm with TSP. Write a column about it, don't mention those guys by name (or if you're feeling like you want to vent more steam, do it), sit back and see what happens.

Chances are you'll find a lot of people are on your side here.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, because readers really want to know about two reporters talking through the National Anthems

Mountain, meet molehill.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I really think this is a non-issue. Is it rude? Yes. Is it an annoyance? A slight one. In the grand scheme of things, though, it's not worth much.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I remember the first time I covered a hockey game. Everyone stood up for the anthem, but the radio people were still on air. Visiting radio was doing his list of sponsors. As soon as the anthem singer hit "oh say can you see?", visiting radio goes "HOOTERS!" To this day, when I eat oversalted chicken wings served by underdressed women, I think about that game.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

In college, my radio guys spoke through the anthem at a basketball game while I was in the stands. I spoke to them after the game, and it never happened again -- at least while I was in attendance. But sometimes the radio and television guys can't help it -- or, at least, didn't do enough to prevent it happening.

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

In college, whenever we came near the National Anthem, we cut whatever we were saying mid-sentence and went to break. We got really good throughout the season and were able to take breaks right as the National Anthem began too, without ending mid-sentence.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

They should show respect, although I wouldn't have a problem with someone writing a note or if they were on a deadline.

I don't believe they should play the national anthem on a regular basis at games. This means there is a national anthem before 80 games a year plus Stanley Cup Playoffs. It kind of loses meaning. It should only be for special things, like to honor veterans or national holidays. The federal govenment doesn't start its day with the National Anthem; they don't start movies or concerts with the National Anthem; and they don't play the National Anthem before the shopping mall opens.

Draft saved Draft deleted