1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh, Please, Bill . . . PLEASE! We Can Only Hope!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If I'm d_b'ing, I apologize.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/opinion/10kristol.html?hp

The suggested VP pick for McCain is too delicious to contemplate.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

What am I missing? I see no suggested pick beyond Lieberman or Petraeus, and that's down in the second-to-last graf.

Then again, I'm politically retarded.

3. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2008/03/17/080317taco_talk_hertzberg/

This suggestion is more intriguing to me.
    Especially if Obama wrapped up the Dems. nomination.
    She's more-than qualified, but it'd be a risk. She'd have the Fredo scent attached to her, deserving or not.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

He also mentions Clarence Thomas, who goes years without opening his mouth during oral arguments at the Supreme Court.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Check the bottom of the second-to-last graf. A current Supreme Court justice is prominently mentioned.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Clarence Thomas?

WHAT ?!!?!

So help me God, I'd vote for Angela Davis first.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You've fingered the difficulty. She wanted her present job so badly, she's gone against her better judgment too many times to count, winding up as one of the Chief Enablers in what's devolved into a horrid situation.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm uncertain which would be more amusing.

9. imjustagirl

I've skimmed both of these. It appears to take 20 inches to get to the part anyone's talking about.

Who writes this shit?

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A gentleman who previously served one term as Dan Quayle's brains as the VP's chief of staff during his mercifully-short tenure in the office.

11. imjustagirl

I mean, is this how all editorials are written? "I'm going to ramble about some Democratic election, then talk about how shitty Bush is, then rush my point in the final two grafs, then couch it all with a "sure there are other options" and hope people like it?"

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Kristol's usually a better writer than this, actually -- especially when he's doing '08 horserace anaylsis in terms of GOP vs. Dem and what may happen in the voting booths. It's when he tries to write policy suggestions that he exposes his ample neocon shortcomings.

Draft saved Draft deleted