1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh, oh, another family values Republican exposed....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 20, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Your ignorance does not diminish the town, just your own failed attempt at making a point.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One slight correction: the boyfriend is a legal immigrant, and the threat was based on an incorrect suggestion that his visa has expired. At least, that's according to the boyfriend's attorney.

Our viewer email is blowing up with variations of "I don't care that he's gay, but HE'S FUCKING AN ILLEGAL!!!111!!!" Doesn't look like that's the case.

The sheriff used to say on his Facebook bio that he's just looking for the right gal to settle down and start a family. I assume that's no longer there.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is this the guy that was in the McCain commercial -- the one where he's walking the border and talking immigration?

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Yep, same guy.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes. And worth noting -- his county is nowhere near the border. He had a long drive to shoot that commercial.

6. YankeeFan

Funny, they chose him because he was less controversial than Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Which right-wing radio talk-show host went into the gay bar for the beer, not the queer? This guy!

http://www.wisconsingazette.com/breaking-news/right-wing-talk-radio-host-says-he-only-went-into-gay-bar-for-the-beer.html

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So, so glad to hear the racist in question isn't a homophobe.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

“You will not smear my name and me go down without a fight,” he says.

So he likes it rough.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

He's lying, because the last place you go looking for beer is a gay bar. If he said it was the only place to get a decent sloe gin fizz, well...

11. YankeeFan

Have no idea who this guy is, or if he's gay. Wouldn't be surprised if he is.

But, a couple of things: Houston has a good gay bar scene. They're all grouped together in the Montrose section. They're crowded nearly every night of the week. Went with friends several times. No big deal. And, since there's always single girls in gay bars, they can be a lot of fun as a straight guy.

Also, it's nuts that a TV station would report the story this way. Since when does a TV station attempt to out people?

Even at the bars I've been to in Houston, photographs are discouraged, since many people would prefer to be discreet. I think it's really irresponsible of this TV station.

I assumed it was some alt weekly, or other fringe media.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

YF, I think it all came about because of the hit-and-run that he seemed to deny at first. Now granted, that much more heinous offense would have lost out in the public debate to HE'S GAY! But I do think his huffy and imperious denials pushed the story further.

I also wonder if he's glad that his show isn't archived, and I wonder if anyone is going to come up with prior anti-gay statements from him.

Draft saved Draft deleted