1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh no's, a cramp!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cubbiebum, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

So apparently Rafael Nadal had a leg cramp during his post match press conference. I have now seen this as the the lead story on ESPN.com and one of the leads on Yahoo.com.

I have no idea why.

Anyone who has played sports has had a leg cramp after a serious workout. It's a novel moment and thus should be treated as a novelty news item. Not the front page news.

/endstupidwebmediarant

2. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Those are serious. Joe Mauer had to sit out a whole series earlier this year due to a leg cramp.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Good for him. It's a note at the end of the story...not THEE fucking story!

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

No, no that was his labia.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

It's the lead photo for both ESPN and Yahoo stories. The Yahoo story teased it by saying he had an injury with a sub-head saying it wasn't serious though.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It was on CNN when I walked into the office just now. Not sure if it's headline news or not. He just sort of slumped down in the chair.

I can see in this day and age why it's news. It happened during a news conference and everyone had video. Not saying it *should* be news, necessarily, but these days, yes, absolutely. There's your sidebar right there.

7. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I saw a tease that said "Nadal Collapses at Post-Match Press Conference"

I guess it is that slow a Sports day. If there had been a slate of NFL games no one would have noticed.

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

It's news. I would expect it to be shown in sports center as a little side laugh. It's the headline news/lead story that irked me.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

As Second Thoughts implies, I imagine it's more because of a lack of anything else to lead with. NASCAR got rained out, right? Same with the WVU vs. Marshall game, which ESPN isn't going to lead with now because they mistakenly reported that someone got struck by lightning (not that WVU steamrolling Marshall was much of a candidate to begin with). All of the baseball races are non-competitive.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It was probably menstrual.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It was also only the third round of the Deutsche Bank, not the final round. With no NFL, a NASCAR rainout and only a couple of Top 25 college football games, the sports menu was lighter than normal.

Just Bristol being Bristol.

Draft saved Draft deleted