1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh NO! A Hall of Fame thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I can't stand LaRussa, but he has to be first. I'm biased towards Cox, because he also built what would eventually happen in Toronto, so he goes second.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I know he was an MVP, but even as a Giants lifer, why don't I see Jeff Kent as Cooperstown material?

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The Expansion Era Ballot isn't until 2014 because it was just voted on in 2010. The Golden Era (47-72) is the vote this year (for 2012 enshrinement) and then PreIntegration (until 1946) is the Class of 2013. So the earliest any of the managers can get in is 2013 vote/ 2014 class. The age rule you cited will be waived, otherwise La Russa would have to wait his five years and then the closest Expansion vote would be in 2017 / Class of 2018.

and the fun about the 2013 player class will be how many holdovers will there be from 2013 as well

4. You think Thomas is a first-ballot lock?
    He gets in no question ... first ballot? No.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Cox first, La Russa second, Torre third. But all three at the same time would be most appropriate.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Carpool?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

La Russa...

Did it with two different organizations. Torre would get the nod next since he made the most of his World Series appearances.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Torre. Then the wife-beater. Then the drunk.

All three should be locks.

10. Mizzougrad96

I would bet Thomas is about 60-40 to get in on the first ballot.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Ages: Torre 71, Cox 70, LaRussa 67

This is a really interesting debate and I think a compelling argument can be made for all three.

LaRussa had six WS appearances, same as Torre. Cox had five.

For those who judge it solely on WS championships, well, Torre's the hand's down choice. The way I look at it, yes, he had the highest payroll, but he also had the zoo that is New York and he had to deal with perhaps the most mercurial owner in major-league pro sports. And he never appeared anything other than calm. On the negative side, his other managerial stops yielded precious little success. 100-win seasons: 4.

LaRussa has done it with three different organizations with varying payroll limits and different ownership personalities. He didn't have to deal with the pressure cooker in St. Louis that Torre did in New York. 1 beat writer. 100-win seasons: 4.

Cox is one of three managers in history to go 500 games over .500 (John McGraw and Joe McCarthy are the other two), had success at both his managerial stops and is 25th all time in managerial winning percentage (.556). His postseason struggles (blowing the 3-1 series lead in the 1985 ALCS along with the Altanta disappointments) are really his biggest detriment. 100-win seasons: 6.

12. Mizzougrad96

Don't let LaRussa drive.

Draft saved Draft deleted