1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh NO! A Hall of Fame thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 31, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

LaRussa, Cox, Torre, in that order.

2. 2014 will be a huge year for the Hall of Fame. First time ballot players include Greg Maddux (lock), Frank Thomas (lock), Tom Glavine (lock), plus Jeff Kent and Mike Mussina.

Kent is being hurt by how good Chase Utley, Dustin Pedroia and Robinson Cano have done. Mussina's success probably hinges on how Schilling does in 2013. He definitely won't be first ballot but if Schilling does poorly in 2013 it will probably kill Mussina's chances.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If Maddux, Glavine, Cox and (to a lesser extent) Torre all make it in 2014, I'm going to do everything I can to join the Braves party in Cooperstown ...

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

La Russa easily. Torre had fantasy teams, and Cox had the best rotation of a generation.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Wouldn't Riggleman be the same year?

6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

LaRussa, easily. I say that as a Yankees fan.

If the Yankees had LaRussa as their manager the last 16 years, they would have won in 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007, and 2011 in addition to the 5 that Torre/Girardi won.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

What about 1997?

8. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Yeah, add 1997 to that list.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And Schuerholz.

I've been making plans for two years already. See you at Brooks, Beej!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Where's the like button?! :D

If that class is as blockbuster as it appears--and it will be, barring some kind of steroid or off-field issue for multiple first-time inductees--then I think we'll see an even bigger crowd than in 2007. Which doesn't seem humanly possible.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Nah, I think 2007 will remain the record for a while. That was a perfect-storm class of greatness and pure likeability.

Also -- and as a Braves fan, I'm not ashamed to admit this -- Atlanta fans won't be traveling well, even for that class.

Only way it breaks the record is if Maddux brings the Cubs contingent (seriously) ...

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Typically true, but even the oft-criticized ATL fanbase will show up en masse if three or four of those legendary Braves are enshrined in 2014. Yankees fans will make the (comparatively) short trip to Cooperstown for Torre. THE BEST FANS IN BASEBALL will surely come out to show how great they are in support of LaRussa. And if all three skippers get in, then this is an opportunity for fans to pay homage to a managerial era that almost surely will never be repeated.

I agree this class isn't as once-in-a-lifetime perfect as 2007, but the sheer numbers make 80,000 quite possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted