1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh NO! A Hall of Fame thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Deputy SE Marc Lancaster noted to me today that Cox, LaRussa and Torre are all eligible for the Hall in 2014 (he explained why and I'm too stupid to understand. But he is much smarter and I trust him).

I assume all three get in.

But let's say you are told only one of those three can make it and the choice is YOURS! Which one do you pick?

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

This is like Sophie's Choice coupled with King Solomon.

I have to go with Cox first, Torre and then Larussa

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Shouldn't this be on the hot stove thread? :D

4. Moderator1

Probably. I just made my own Hall of Fame. I'm suspending myself for 10 minutes.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Cox

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I thought if you were 65 or older you only had to be out a year ... ergo Cox and Torre are eligible next year (Class of 2012).

Is that not correct?

7. Moderator1

Hell, maybe you are right - though that is not the way Marc explained it to me. But let's forget the year. Just go with the same hypothetical - only one of those three can make it. Which one?

I know he's the guy everyone loves to hate, but doesn't it have to be La Russa?

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm a Braves fan, and I'm surprised Cox is getting the support he's gotten here.

I think it's clearly La Russa, then Torre, then Cox. Bobby's teams (including the 85 and 87 Blue Jays) just blew it too many times in October for him to be rated ahead of the other two.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It's gotta be LaRussa, who won three rings with two teams.
    Torre only won with Yankees payroll and Cox couldn't win in the postseason. Fourteen division titles and one World Series win is unacceptable.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I've never thought much of Cox' in-game managerial skills, especially come playoff time, but LaRussa's last two titles pretty much prove the postseason is a poor way of judging a manager (and I know that trends dangerously close to condoning Billy Beane's BS, too, but what can I say, I'm a complex guy). LaRussa went from one title (as many as Joe Girardi) to three (top 10 all-time) with two of his worst teams that just managed to get hot at the right time. Meanwhile, other teams of his that were far better petered out far sooner.

Winning only one World Series title doesn't diminish the greatness of 14 straight division titles, especially considering the last several of those were won when management was slashing the budget. That said, I'd still go LaRussa first, b/c three titles is three titles. Like I said, I'm a complex guy. :D

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

LaRussa, then Torre, then Cox.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Can't pick just one of those. But you can add John Schuerholz to the ballot just to make it a bit tougher.

Draft saved Draft deleted