1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

oh my goodness gracious

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Nov 7, 2011.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2011/11/twilight_reunion_dan_duquette.html

The Rocket is talking to the Orioles about making a comeback.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Excellent headline. Do you call him "Clemy?"

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is a tremendous example of Manky's reading comprehension skills, because the only hint of a Clemens comeback with the Orioles is the columnist's line, "The only thing more far-fetched than Clemens making a pitching comeback at age 49? How about Duquette signing him to play for the Orioles?"

What the story really says is Clemens is thinking about pitching in the Puerto Rican winter league so he could be his son's teammate. It's folded into an article about Duquette negotiating with the Orioles.

On the plus side, though, that columnist has some really wacked-out hair, so that was a nice discovery.

4. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

It's believable that he could still pitch well at age 49. He's the same age as Jamie Moyer who was pitching for the Phillies in 2010.

5. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

My understanding of the article is he wants to pitch in the Puerto Rican league to build up his arm strength for a tryout with the O's in 2012 spring training.

I look forward to seeing what he can still do. Nolan Ryan is 15 years older than the Rocket and still throws in the mid 80s.

And, wow that is some weird hair on the columnist...gotta be a wig?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ryan also has had some heart trouble, and, if I remember correctly, retired not due to his arm, but the rest of his body getting old.

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Right, but Clemens kept himself in fantastic shape in the latter half of his career. His workouts were legendary, few if any of his teammates could keep up with him.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read the thread title and I thought Manky got nude photos sent to him from Jeter, Saraceno or both...

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

It's a reference to Susyn Waldman describing the Rocket's 2007 comeback.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, duh, of course few of his teammates could keep up with him. And we know why:

[​IMG]

11. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Plenty of players roided up in that era yet still none of them could match what Clemens did. And what kind of paper prints a headline like that?

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's the same paper that ran this headline about a fire at a pysch hospital:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted