1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh Jesus, Majerus has done it now

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by terrier, Jan 23, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure who Catholics are supposed to support in the election. You can't vote for a pro-choice Dem and all the GOPers are pro-death penalty. Yet, you never hear a conservative get dumped on for that. Curious...shouldn't at least a third of the Supreme Court be ex-communicated?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Well, what about liberals who support abortion but not the death penalty? You don't see any conflict there?

3. No.
    I know people who support choice, though.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Probably. I know I'll see Scalia in hell.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thank you.

6. JackS

JackS Member

The real question should be why a Catholic school (or any particularly image-conscious institution) would hire Majerus in the first place. Not that I think he's Satan incarnate, but it's no secret that he "marches to his own drummer" and has a tendency to run off at the mouth.

But hey, I know the answer.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Abortions for all!

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Abortions for none!

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others!

YAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I remember hearing something while he was at Utah that unnamed school officials were whispering about concerns involving his "lifestyle." I assumed they meant Majerus might be gay.
    Now I understand. They were whispering about him because he's liberal (which is probably just as big an offense in Utah as being gay).

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There may be other concerns over his "lifestyle."

http://deadspin.com/346458/rick-majerus-will-show-you-his-billiken

However, to reiterate: No official of the Roman Catholic Church has any credibility to lecture anybody anywhere any time on any subject of "morality."

Got it? None. Go rape an altar boy, Archbishie.

10. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

I seem to recall the university recently built a new cathedral to basketball. To do so, they used state funds. To get the state funds, the school needed a state supreme court decision that the school was NOT a religious school. The court so ruled.

Could be wrong, but it would appear the word hypocrisy might apply to the good archbishop's statement.

11. JackS

JackS Member

I won't argue about the church having little to no credibility due to the problems you so colorfully describe, but that doesn't mean it should just sit back and say, OK, dear congregation, nevermind any of our rules and standards, just do your own thing.

Then again, this is my 666th post, so my credibility on matters of morality may also be in question.

12. No, but it means the church should be unsurprised when people don't pay attention to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted