1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh Jesus, Majerus has done it now

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by terrier, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Boy, that one went in a circle.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Is Majerus an employee of the Archdiocese of St. Louis or is the University privately owned and operated by the Jesuit order?
    If the archdiocese doesn't run the university, the archbishop's bluster doesn't mean shit. He has no power to fire anyone.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

My place of employment wouldn’t dare restrict my speech.

Additionally, I only pointed out what you left out. I don’t care what the coach says either. I don’t see why any of this topic is a big deal or not… religious or not. However, don’t let that get in the way of you making accusations.

Where is FH’s post on you taking the high road?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I would assume it isn't run by the Archdiocese. Most Catholic universities are not.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That is probably a good question -- I'm not sure.

And Pastor, if you work for a newspaper, most likely they can and do restrict your speech more often than you'd care to admit.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Guess you better not vote then.

7. zagoshe

No, read what I wrote -- we cannot "publicly" endorse candidates or be involved with political organizations. We are strongly encouraged to vote, which is a private excercise of our rights.

Though I must say some of the organizations my publisher belongs to, if they aren't political in nature, they damn sure toe that line.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Better not tell anyone who you voted for then!

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Jesuits traditionally have been one of the more liberal orders.

Jesuits also haven't been hit anywhere near as hard in the sex abuse scandals. And many of their members work directly with male youths every day in private high schools.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The archbishop, I'm sure, has no problem with Majerus (according to the SI article, anyway) frequently calling his players a four-letter word starting with c that refers a part of the female anatomy?

11. zagoshe

He'll have even less problem with Majerus if he can get St. Louis to the Final Four like he did Utah.....

12. Unfortunately for the argument here, JPII knuckled the Jesuits pretty hard during his time. He even forbade them from electing their own Superior General when Pedro Arrupe died, which was unprecedented in the history of the Society. As part of that, he made the local Jesuit communities more subservient to the various local diocesans Archbishops. So this clown in SL swings a bigger stick than you think.
    (The Jebs were something of my family business.)

Draft saved Draft deleted