1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh Hell. This school's administration must be kidding.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I can't find mine either. This thread will probably get locked first.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

"I'm sorry for saying "hell" when you told me not to. It was a shitty thing to do."

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

She could always offer the half-hearted "I'm sorry you were offended" thing that celebs and politicians give.

Or if she's seen the movie Half Baked she can always do this

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Is "Hell" really that bad of a word in this day and age? Considering everything else that is said among kids, on TV, in music and everywhere else, saying the word Hell in a valedictorian speech should be the least of the principal's problems. Is it ideal she said it? no, but this is a minor transgression at worst. School board needs to grow up and get over itself. Let the valedictorian have this one on her way out the door.

My other question is, how far ahead of time did she have to submit the speech for approval? By the time she reads it on graduation day, saying hell may have fit better than heck. For me heck always feels awkward in the mouth. It's one thing to write something, it's a whole other deal in reading it aloud.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Re: not being able to find your diploma. Ever have that dream that you've forgotten you were registered for some class and now it's finals and you're screwed? I used to have that one, but now when I go that route I dream that, through some quirk, they've discovered that I never actually completed high school and I have to go back. I tell them "Wait, I finished my undergrad and masters and PhD!" but they say, no, since you never finished high school those degrees don't count.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I apologize for using the word hell. Now give me my fucking diploma!

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's true, but partly because the way these stories are headlined.

"School refuses girl's diploma for saying Hell."

Instead of . . .

"Girl changes wording in graduation speech, is asked to apologize before receiving her diploma."

Second one is a little more accurate. But the first one is what we see on the web.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

They're just pissed that because she's smart, she'll never have to come back to godforsaken Prague, Oklahoma, again.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's kind of why you pick the valedictorian or school president to speak, rather than the class stoner.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Screw that. Was she reading off a teleprompter? So what if she changed a word?

What if she had an part in her scripted speech where she was supposed to say she really like the pepperoni pizza and riffed and said cheese pizza?

Should she apologize for changing the wording?

If you earned the right through four years of school to be valedictorian, you can go up there in a Speedo and give everyone the finger as far as I'm concerned. You paid for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted