1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh Hell. This school's administration must be kidding.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Aug 20, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Prague High School in Oklahoma is refusing to give Class of 2012 Valedictorian Kaitlin Nootbaar her diploma because she used the word "hell" in her speech. Fucking idiots.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/valedictorian-denied-diploma-speech-hell-134805221.html

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

She changed her speech (basically lied to the school).

School asks for an apology. If she apologizes, she gets her diploma.

And life goes on.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I'd refuse to give her a diploma because she used a "Twilight" reference in her speech. Other than that, I have no problem with what she said.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

5. turski7

turski7 Member

Looks like this district went the way of Bob Stoops and choked in the big game. Just give her the piece of paper. Why the federal case?

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I hate the idea that she even had to submit her speech beforehand

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

the btexpress guide to acceptable behavior:
    lying to cover up child rape to protect a college football team = acceptable behavior
    punishing a kid who said hell instead of heck = acceptable behavior

keep on keepin' on with the man!

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

There's no constitutional recourse here either. Public schools can censor "vulgar" student speech (Bethel School District v. Fraser).

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Love that the school's mascot is a devil.

Look, she starts college next week on full scholarship. To Katlin I'd say, who the hell needs a fuckin' piece of paper.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Much ado about nothing. But if you let students get up and say whatever they want..... well you never know what you're going to get.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Or the school could show a modicum of common sense instead of trying to bully the class valedictorian and life would still go on.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

what the fuck does that even mean? she didn't get up and say whatever she wanted. she said, "How the hell do I know?"

Draft saved Draft deleted