1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh good, we didn't have nearly enough bowl games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The schools would be going over the limit of games in a season and would be sanctioned, heavily I would assume, for doing it. And it'll hold up in court because the NCAA is a voluntary organization. You agree to abide by its rules, and accept its sanctions, when you join.

Now the teams could still do it but my guess is they wouldn't sniff a postseason opportunity for several years if they do.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You made a key point: The NCAA is a voluntary organization. Two football teams could very make their own TV deal and go play one additional game after the bowls and BCS games. In essence, it would be saying to the NCAA, Thanks, but we no longer want to be a member of your organization. If the right powers decided to do that, the changes you'd see from the NCAA would come so fast it would make your head spin.

The problem with this is that, with everyone making their own rules, there would be chaos. With everyone following one set of regulations, there is (theoretically) calm and order.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

it almost happened in 2004 when Clemson and South Carolina called themselves out of the bowls because of the brawl. The NCAA said to itself, "Thank God for Troy."

But with 12 games now instead of 11, more teams will get to six wins. Hence more bowls.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I think this was actually tried back when USC and LSU shared the title. I think Compaq or some rich crazy guy offered up $100 million in scholarship money to have them play in late January to decide the true champion. It wasn't a very realistic plan, but it was interesting nonetheless.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

My God, the bowl chances for Baylor, Kent Stake and Duke are getting better by the day.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Here is what I've often wondered -- what if all of the six BCS conference teams decided to take their football leagues to another sanctioning body independent of the NCAA -- what could the NCAA do about it?

They could all declare their football programs club teams and then do whatever the hell they'd want and I'm sure the little shit conferences would shortly thereafter follow suit.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

NCAA could boot the schools out of the NCAA. In football, that might not affect things much, since there's no playoff anyways, but in other sports, like men's hoops, that could be a huge thing. It would probably become like a CART/IRL thing or a boxing thing where you would have an NCAA champ and a non-NCAA champ, with fans and the media throwing a fit over who the real champion is.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It'll never happen for the reasons Zag outlined above. For one thing, no university president - even the president at FSU - is going to jeopardize an entire athletic department over a football playoff.

10. Put the two participating schools on probation for nine million years.

Draft saved Draft deleted