1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh good, we didn't have nearly enough bowl games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 30, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

When Webby sees this, your post total is so going to be at zero

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure. I razzed him about KU beating USF a couple years ago and he only docked me 5,000 posts.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I was more into Cheerz

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That was before USF was any good....(of course Kansas was kansas)...
    Lest you forget about the memo....

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1437868/

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'll have to remember that memo before razzing Webby about KU going into Tampa this season and trying not to run up the score.

:D

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The fact that John Swofford continues to get passes for his hypocrisy is an all-time mystery.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Bite your tongue, heathen. No way Navy is going 4-7.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's true. There will be fans pissed that this game is across the bridge at Tropicana Field instead of Raymond James Stadium.

(Bring it, Webby!)

9. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

They show Frazier reruns on ESPN? Awesome.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The hate comes because I, like some on this board, remember when going to a bowl game was really special for a team. I would spend several weeks each fall trying to figure out where a team would go in a bowl if they won this game or that. One of the big things that college football sells itself on is tradition (rivalrys, stadiums, etc.). It's kind of sad that they've tossed aside the tradition of rewarding the best teams with bowls.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The best teams are still rewarded with bowl trips. But so are some other teams.

I wonder what the percentage of bowl slots was 30 years ago? Remember, there weren't 120 I-A teams back then.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia, in 1970 there were 11 bowl games. In 1980, there were 15. I haven't been able to find the number of Division I-A teams.

Let's use 1980 for an example. 15 games means 30 teams. Even if there were, say 90 teams around, that would mean only 1 in 3 teams would get to a bowl, as opposed to 1 in 2.

Draft saved Draft deleted