1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh good, we didn't have nearly enough bowl games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 30, 2008.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

So Syracuse still wouldn't be in.

2. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I have to wonder if the "Congressional Bowl" means the end of the "San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl." The only reason they ever had any fans was because of their automatic bid to a bowl eligible Navy team. The large navy presence in the area always brought out decent crowds for that game.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I'll-play-backup-to-Montana-Steve-Young Bowl!

I'm so tired of all the bowl games. It's ridiculous.

Wouldn't be great if a bowl game, preferably a BCS bowl, be boycotted? ... NO ONE show up to demonstrate a playoff is needed.

4. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Again, I can't believe that there's an audience for a game pitting a 6-6 Big East team against a 7-5 CUSA school.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Just another way for a couple of fat cats to get to act like big shots for a couple days.
    "Hey, I'm the reason this game is here. Now lick my taint."

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Trouble is, you talk about a Big East team--Pitt, UConn, RU, where ever, the game is in December and you get to go to Tampa for a weekend. You would probably get a pretty decent travel contingency.

7. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

The Mormon Bowl.

And fuck Dothan. Put it in Huntsville and call it the Rocket City Bowl.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

But they didn't want kids missing classes for a 'Plus One' playoff, I thought.

So, now, 150 more kids miss classes... for a below-meaningless bowl.

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

also, with the SEC joining up with the Papajohns.com bowl, does this mean they're dropping a deal with another bowl? I can't think of a bowl that they'd drop in favor of Papajohns.com bowl. The bottom two picks from the SEC have gone to the Liberty and Independence bowls. While Memphis and Shreveport ain't the best destinations, they're a hell of a lot better than Legion Field (hell, Auburn and Alabama stopped playing there in the early 90s because the stadium was about to fall in on itself).

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember 15, 20 years ago when getting to a bowl game was a pretty big deal.

Now? Who cares?

11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

This is stupid, but I can't say it's unexpected. They had an outdoor bowl in Seattle for a couple of years. Yeah, that was enticing. Let's all go watch Wake Forest in December weather!

It's getting to the point where all a team has to do to become bowl eligible is successfully tie their shoes.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It bothers me that Swofford and those asses weren't grilled on this hypocrisy yesterday.

Draft saved Draft deleted