1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh good, we didn't have nearly enough bowl games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 30, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Absolutely freakin' ridiculous. Pretty soon they'll have to change the eligibility requirements so that you become bowl-eligible with any wins at all.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

When's the Dothan Bowl?

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The St. Petersburg Bowl is going to be to the University of South Florida what the Hawaii Bowl is to the University of Hawaii and the Humanitarian Bowl is to Boise State.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

But we can't have a playoff because it will take the student-athletes away from their studies and exams.

Any university president or NCAA type who would vote to add bowl games (which adds a month to the season for 60 teams), but not a playoff (which would add a month to the season for 8, 12 or 16 teams), and use any justification other than money should be forced to watch one of these shitty bowl games on a continuous loop until they're stuttering like a bewildered Rain Man in a strip club.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah there are too many bowl games.

But they actually only add about two weeks during a time when most colleges are on break. Teams can't practice the entire month of December. They're allowed about two weeks of workouts prior to the game.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

And what is that?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Don't be so against this. It's one more college football game to watch. A shitty one, but still better than a lot of other stuff on t.v.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This is total BS to have one of the two teams in a bowl set each year. Having one of the opponents set to be from a conference is one thing, but to have it set as one team is crazy.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

It is?

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

All I ask for anyone going to a bowl game is that they deserve it. 6-6 doesn't cut it. In my world you'd have 10 bowl games, max. I'm not watching any bowl game with a sixth-place team in it; I wouldn't go with a free ticket.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The winner of the Commander In Chief Trophy would be more appropriate for that bowl. And didn't Navy accept a bid to the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego last year before the season even started?

Draft saved Draft deleted