1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh Go Shoot Someone In The Face

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Oct 25, 2006.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

*shrug*
    They are terrorists.
    Too bad.

2. Actually I think the worst era for any professional sport is the NHL today but I see your point.

Many people in Boston were blind to some of the issues facing the NBA because we came out of the 60's as a power house and had success in the early 70's with Havlicek and Cowens with Tommy Heinson as coach. It was only from 1976-1980 that there was a dry spell in basketball in the Hub of the Universe.

1980 of course saw the coming of the Basketball Jesus to Boston.

3. I just wish Cowens could have made peace with being a spare part through the 1981 title.
    Just wasn't in him, I guess.

4. The Celtics had some real class guys finish their careers in green. I became a big Dave Bing fan and of course I wished that I could have watched Pistol Pete his whole career in green. Too bad that Cowens had that time in Milwaukee. It left a Dwight Evans in Baltimore taste.

5. The legend is that Cowens just walked off the bus one night before an exhibiton game in Larry's rookie year.
    Agree on the Milwaukee stint. Of course, since leaving the game, Dave's been something of a gypsy. Real good guy, too, and very smart.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Cowens bridged 2 eras of the NBA

1 The early to mid 70's which I would deem the best era of NBA as far as quality of play

1972 - Cowens MVP Celtics were 68-14 and lost to Knicks in Eastern finals

1974 Celtics beat Bucks in 7 game NBA finals - might be best ever - game 7 Cowens 28 pts 14 RBS

1976 Celtics beat Suns in NBA final featuring what might be greatest NBA game ever - 3 OT game 5

2 - Post 1976 The Sydney Wicks / Spencer Haywood era - the worst in NBA history
    Cowens could not deal with Wicks and Curtis Rowe and quit team to drive a cab.

7. Boom --
    I love you, but if you think the 1974 Finals was the best ever, well, we part company there, my brother. The early 1970's were great if you were in Boston, NY, Philly, or LA. Terrible anywhere else, including Milwaukee, which I can attest to first-hand. (That's why KAJ wanted out so badly.) It's also why there was room for the ABA.

8. Boom_70

The story is that the Celtics were down in San Antonio and Cowens decided to retire after game. He got on team bus and made teary emotional speech and then things went silent .

ML Carr in his way shouts out - " well get off the bus we got to go" the whole bus cracked up and it broke the ice.

9. Boom_70

You could say that about any era depending what city you are in. Look at the Knicks now.

If you were a Bucks fan you certainly could not have been happy watching KAJ getting beat at every turn by 6'9 Dave Cowens. When was the last time you saw an NBA player dive for loose balls the way Cowens did in that series?

10. All-time Celtics starting 5

C - Bill Russell
    PF - Dave Cowens
    SF - Larry Bird
    SG - John Havlicek
    PG - Bob Cousy

I would put that all-time team up against anyone and of course with Red as the coach they would be unstopable..

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Why am I not at all surprised that you'd be OK with something like that?

12. AA, frankly, I am surprised you don't think this is a good idea, in this, specific case.

Draft saved Draft deleted