1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh Go Shoot Someone In The Face

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Vice President Sociopath Comes To Call
    http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/news/columnists/jonathan_s_landay/15847918.htm?source=rss&channel=krwashington_jonathan_s_landay

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I wonder if this guy has ever lived by any rules.

3. Water boarding senior al Qaeda leaders sounds OK to me.

I am amused though that the ad on that page tells you to shoot seven dancing bears in the "hat" for a free laptop.

4. If he'd shot someone in the hat, there wouldn't have been a problem.
    They pass the law. They sign the law. They ignore the law.
    The Bush Administration -- Have It Your Way!

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My dad, when he was going through police training a couple decades ago, was subjected to a spray of Mace in his eyes during a session on non-lethal force. It was an intentional exercise, and it was intended to give the cops a more informed perspective on how a perp could/would react to Mace if they ever chose to use it on someone.

It gave him a better respect for the stuff, and I am quite sure it gave him a different perspective on when/how to use it (which, as far as I know, he rarely did.)

In relation to this thread, Cheney says he doesn't believe that water-boarding is torture. And the Bush Administration, as a whole, seems to have no problem using what most of us, I think, would find to be "torture." ... Torture, in most cases, is intended to be a non-lethal method of coercive force. ... It seems to me that if we are to use these methods, the people applying them -- and more importantly, the people authorizing them -- should have a more informed perspective on what is torture and what is not. ...

For the life of me, I can't understand how a human being could do that to another human being, and be OK with that. It doesn't make sense to me. It disturbs my sensibilities on a basic level.

I think even 10 seconds of simulated water-boarding, even in a highly controlled environment where there is no danger to him, would change Cheney's mind forever.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

for a guy who at least once had to fuck Lynne Cheney. water boarding is a mere annoyance.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Look how that turned out. A freaking lesbian.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Chris L Great picture of Cowens. One of my all time favorite NBA players. Imagine if the NBA was made up of players who played the game like Cowens did. There would not be a problem with ratings or unsold tickets.

9. Cowens was a team guy.

David Stern decided that it was stars that sold tickets and team guys like Cowens don't sell enough mechandise. Just look at San Antonio - how many national commercials do you see featuring the Spurs even they have the ultimate team guy and the ultimate team?

Guys like Cowens who would dive for loose balls and take charges are a dying breed in the NBA and the NBA is lesser for it.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The better part of me says that is not fair.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I wasn't very clear. I was actually quoting Cheney.

12. Meaning what, Chris?
    The era in which Dave Cowens thrived -- the pre-Magic/Bird 1970's -- was by any empirical measure the worst era in the modern history of any professional sports. Cocaine. Guns. The Finals -- with Dr. J and the Lakers -- on tape-delay on the networks. The NBA turned around because it was blessed with individual talents it could market. (And it turned around when the Larrys -- O'Brien and Fleischer -- managed to solve the labor-management issues by agreeing on the first salary-cap in history.) That the process may have gone too far is probably true, and the league is coming back slowly from those excesses. However, the era in which Cowens played was truly an awful one.
    And Cowens could have played in the NBA at any time in history. A great, great player, and an interesting guy besides. Always sorry he was only a couple years too early for the Big Three Era.

Draft saved Draft deleted