1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh Gag (Fawning Rick Reilly Column)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Sep 12, 2007.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Just when you want to choke the living shit out of Rick for his "I hate baseball" or "I kiss David Stern's ass" columns, he goes and writes something like that. And he does a great job with those columns.

And no, I ain't Rick. I wouldn't write a pro-NBA column to save my life. :)

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Yeah, well, someone else can write a column like that also, without all the fawning bullshit in between.

Reilly's damn good. But he doesn't stand alone, either.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

In the Peyton vs. Brady SNL realm, Peyton wins hands down. The ESPN March Madness pool skit, him dancing in the basketball locker room, the United Way, all trumped anything Brady did.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Yes - paging Jemele.

Well, I wondered if anybody would agree with me on this... glad to see I'm not crazy.

He does some great stuff. I quit reading him after the 'embalmer' comment a few years back-- I'm sure some of you remember that one. It's not that I did it out of protest... It's just that there are so many sports columnists out there, and I'd rather read the guys and gals... to quote Jennifer Aniston... with their "sensitivity chip" fully operational.

But I'm not his target demo.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's hair gel.
    And Reilly is beginning to be a parody of himself. The tear-jerker columns, the Plimpton-esque pieces, his odes to his favorite white athletes, his rip jobs and his frat humor pieces have all begun to read the same. I could have sworn the suicide teen column was a repeat.
    I'd like him to take a serious stand on something and knock it out of the park. Gary Smith's piece on Miami coach Randy Shannon was a heck of a lot better than anything Reilly's done in the last couple of years.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought it was done in fun...

Reilly has done some columns on Lance Armstrong that made me want to hurl... This was nowhere close to any of those...

Draft saved Draft deleted