1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh Gag (Fawning Rick Reilly Column)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That stunk. Should have heeded HB's advice.

Brownest Bunny ever ... well done, Luggie. Well done.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Let's ask Chloe Sevigny.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Rick . . . Rick . . . there's something there on your chin . . . no, the other side . . . yeah, here's a Kleenex . . . got it.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm Rick Reilly. And I liked it.

Just kidding, but the "Cut that meat" trash talking was funny.

5. txscoop

txscoop Member

o c'mon...it wasnt that bad.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

That line killed me after the paragraph about the baby mamma drama.

Personal responsibility? How about wearing a condom? That would have seemed to be the responsible thing to do this day age. Above and beyond pregnancy, what about disease?

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Sycophantic and shallow.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

And this one:

Brady was the one who showed up on SNL in his underwear in a skit making light of sexual harassment in the workplace.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm not going to knock Brady for anything in a SNL skit.

And we don't know at all (nor should we) anything about the condom/birth control isssue. Maybe a condom broke. Maybe she was on the pill and a condom broke.

But I do have my doubts that that "I wanna be a father to my kids" would have been glossed over and taken as gospel if it were an unmarried black athlete. I agree, if Jemele wanted to point out the hypocrisy of the way the media looks at baby daddys, the Brady thing would have been a much better example than the Ankiel/Vick/Bonds nonsense.

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I used to flip to the Reilly column first because I couldn't wait to read him.

Now I flip to him first because I need to see if he's jerking us around again.

I wish he would move on and give the space to someone hungry enough to pound out a compelling column every damn week.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

But then he'll write one like last week's (or two weeks ago) about the young girl who committed suicide and the people who got her organs. I know he sometimes gets criticized for the tear-jerker columns as well, but I'd much rather read something like that - as tough as it is to read considering the tragedy - than one like this. Still turn there first each week though.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Also, Peyton's United Way SNL skit was funnier than anything Brady did on the show.

Draft saved Draft deleted