1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh, crap. We're out of goalies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

...who isn't younger than Jagr :)

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Where's Lefty Wilson when you need him. RIP.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That's more cutting-edge commentary found only on ESPN 8, the Ocho.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Nice read on "house goalies"

The inside story of the oddity that is the “Emergency Backup” goalie – and why it could soon change | The Hockey News

Likes this part:
    Lefty Wilson, a popular Red Wings equipment manager, got into goal for three games during the ‘50s due to injury, and in two of them, he played against Detroit, beating them on both occasions at a time when the Wings were a league powerhouse.
    ”There was no way I wanted those guys to score on me,” Wilson told Dick Irvin for the 1995 book In the Crease. ”It would have been terrible to go to work in the dressing room the next day and have them give me the needle about how many they scored.”

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Surprisingly they didn't fire him for not letting the Wings win. And I wonder what the coach's reaction was:

"You can't even beat our equipment manager!"

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I don't recall Jack Adams having much of a reputation for swearing but had the coach been Punch Imlach, the reaction would have been something like this:

"F***! You motherf****** can't f****** even beat our f****** equipment manager! You're all pieces of f****** s***! And you motherf****** quit f****** talking to f****** Baun!

Years ago I was the emergency backup for a minor league team but no situation ever arose to even suit up. Still had all my pads back then. Looking back, I'm disappointed. Might have been fun.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted