1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh Boy. Smalltown Scandals

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

As some of us are aware, I've been shifted into news.

Here's today's assignment:

Local chapter of a bigtime international charity throws a fundraising dinner. No biggie, until they:

1) Threw it at a city owned hall the city gave to them rent free
    2) Hired strippers (illegal, according to city bylaws)
    3) Didn't invite any women members of the chapter
    4) Invited the public - except for women
    5) Denied two women who did try to attend entrance at the door

This is shaping up to be a shitshow of epic proportions.

Anyone have a Little League all-star game I can volunteer to cover?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Dude, you've struck the mother lode of news side stories. Interview every stripper you can find. Report back. Extra points if their was a dwarf or a bag of cocaine at the scene. Was it the United Way? The United Way knows how to party.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

well, you shouldn't have to take any other assignments for a while. That story is the gift that keeps on giving ...

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's a shit ton of work, but at least it will be a good click.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

There was a great piece of reporting done at my old paper about a truck stop/strip joint robbery off I-95. It was only an eight-inch story, and the (female) reporter didn't actually go to the club since it was a ways away and the crime wasn't terribly shocking, but before getting off the phone with one of the stripper witnesses, she asked her what she was wearing when this all went down. The ensemble included a leather jacket, a G-string and clear heels. That got in the story.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out what kind of international charity has chapters that hire strippers to entertain at their fundraisers.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Exactly. That's why so many community members are PISSED. I am going to call the headquarters for comment.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sounds like you hit the jackpot, Pete. Way better than the grip and grins/fundraiser pics I had to take when I was a reporter/photog!

And for all the laughs and indignation of the strippers' appearance, point No. 1 is a big deal, too. If the city lets one charity organization use their facility rent free, that really opens up Pandora's Box.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm assuming the men are pissed because they aren't members.

10. Pete that is awesome!
    I hope you are at least a little excited by this.
    I would be drooling at the idea of doing this story (said guy who jumped from sports to news a few years ago because of covering one too many LL games and doing D-III signing stories)

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Are you using a rotary dial to make that call?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I guess it can easily be said, those strippers work hard, and they deserve coverage too.

Draft saved Draft deleted