1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh boy!! It's an Office Party!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Brenda Brownnose, Mr. Publisher's secretary, bought a sheet cake for Mr. P's birthday this week. After about 10 pieces were cut out of it, she announced the newsroom was welcome to have some. Those on duty at the time did some quick math and figured out everybody would get a slice about 3/4 of an inch wide (3/8 of an inch wide, if all the people who have been laid off/run out of their jobs over the last year or so were invited down to share in the festivitites).

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What's the matter Milton... didn't you get any cake?

[​IMG]

3. Pi

Pi Member

Instead of just saying "Thank you for the cake, may I please have some more?" Ingrate.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yes, but last time I didn't receive a piece. And I was told ...

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Just pass!

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I'm gonna set the building on fire.

7. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

We had that same thing happen a few years back with our main editor. She got a cake and then our red-headed whirling dervish of a photographer shrieks, "Let's sing 'Happy Birthday!'"
    I swear everyone sang at the same volume as the people on "Office Space" for Bill Lumberg. Again, that shows the genius of that movie and how every office is almost the same.

[​IMG]
    "Remember Friday is Hawaiian shirt day ..."

We also had a Hawaiian shirt day one day and I don't think the person who started it knew about the movie.

8. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Ladies, I hope you don't take offense. We had slightly more women than men at my old office, and it seemed like there was a cake every friggin' day or a card being passed around for something. "Congratulations on your vasectomy, Bob."
    I never understood why it seemed to happen all the time until I noticed how it started. It always seemed to start with one of our female editors or one of the older women among our designers. It seems like mainly a woman thing to get cakes, cookies and cards for someone.
    You know, actually be thoughtful :)

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There's no room for sentiment in newspapers, dammit!

10. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

There's a reason that movie's a classic.

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine gets tired of all the cakes, cards and songs in her office.

"Get well, get well soon, we want you to get well!"

12. Let them eat cake!

Draft saved Draft deleted