1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh, and it's gonna be racist if Charlie Weis doesn't get fired . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Sep 20, 2007.

1. "Play a part" is pretty obvious to me, at least based on a lot of the code I heard tossed around during Willingham's last season.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Florida didn't scoop them. ND could have had Meyer before Florida even talked to him but ND wouldn't meet Meyer's demands so he moved on to Gainesville.

Here's a little suggestion for the good folks in South Bend. If you shitcan your coach because you want to hire the Next Hot Coach, you pretty much have to give the NHC everything he wants otherwise he'll go somewhere else. Might want to remember that next time.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Notre Dame hired Willingham to distract from all the negative attention from having to dismiss Coach Resume...

How do we get ourselves out of this PR nightmare?

Hire the first black football coach in school history....

It worked like a charm...

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The only way they SHOULD have been at those particular BCS games? Buying tickets.

Their unique deal got them into those games . . . in which they had no chance . . . and were pummeled, as they should have been.

Won't have that problem, this year, since they'll be sitting home with their families, this happy holiday season.

5. The flaw in that reasoning is that Willingham's first team qualified, but wasn't selected. And, as far as last year goes, who would you have taken instead? They were the worthiest at-large team. The rest - Wisconsin, Cal, etc. - finished third in their conference, which you can't do.

Not being an ND apologist by any means. Just saying that he DID go to those games.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And now it's turned into the gift that keeps giving.

7. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

ND deserve charlie weis. He fit their scheme, slow, fat, over-rated.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Was waiting for someone to mention the rushed nature of the Willingham hire, due to O'Leary's little lie.

I think Willingham is a good coach - a better coach than Weis, just based on getting freaking Stanford to the Rose Bowl - but it's clear that for a while ND has been making what to them are knee-jerk, reaction hires after losing their first choice.

I like Willingham in the Pac-10 better anyway. And I like Weis at ND, where the spotlight can continue to be on what a bastard he can be in his dealings with people.

9. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I don't consider the ND administration racist for firing Ty Willingham. Now, the student body...I'm not going to say they're "racist," but they damn near had fucking riots over Willingham in his third season, and did the same goddamn thing during the GT game over Demetrius Jones with all the "Put in Claussen" idiocy. It's doubtful they're a bunch of collective racists, but they're definitely a bunch of meatheads.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Do you really believe I would have a ni99er run our family business, Randolph?"

11. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

I have found this.

As a white guy, I almost never think race is an issue.

But many of the African American folks who I know and trust the most very often think race is an issue.

It's not a question of the facts. It's a question of perspective. And more often than not, in issues like these, I trust what they think more than what I think. Because if it is an issue for them, then it is an issue; or at the very least, an issue that deserves consideration.

12. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

Not that anybody actually follows Notre Dame, but the reason Willingham was fired was because he was overmatched as a recruiter in South Bend. His final two classes were pathetic and have left this year's team without minimal talent among the juniors or seniors.

Weis isn't blameless for this year because he should have developed the young talent he recruited before this year. The offensive line is a joke and the defense still sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted