1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ogden starts making its mark ... in Ogden

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsHack1818, May 10, 2018.

1. Didn't want this to get lost in the Salt Lake City discussion, but another Utah paper is going the layoff/buyout/whatever route. Ogden Newspapers recently bought the (no relation) Ogden Standard-Examiner, and I saw a tweet yesterday from executive editor Greg Halling about cleaning out his office. Leads me to believe he was let go, as Ogden is known to do once it takes over a property.

So a Utah newspaper recap ... The Salt Lake Tribune is in a death spiral. So is the Daily Herald in Provo, which has had multiple rounds of layoffs the past few years, both before and after Ogden purchased it. The Ogden paper itself now appears to have had layoffs. The St. George Spectrum is a shell of what it used to be and recently had Gannett-mandated layoffs.

It seems if you want to work at a daily newspaper in Utah, the Deseret News is about the only safe option. And if you are adverse to being a PR arm for the LDS Church, then you don't want to be there, either.

Tough times for a state I love.

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I have pretty extensive experience with Ogden and I don’t believe their MO is to get rid of the editor when they acquire a property.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

But isn't Ogden noted for running papers on very lean staffing?

4. Perhaps I should have been a bit clearer in my wording. Ogden bought the paper in Lawrence, Kansas, and immediately cleared out 60 percent of the newsroom. Bought the paper in Provo, Utah, and had two rounds of layoffs within 13 months, including an ME. Bought the paper in Ogden, and laid off a half-dozen people, including the EE. It may not always be the editors, but it's not like it's out of the ordinary.

Draft saved Draft deleted