1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offshore Drilling Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jun 21, 2008.

?

Which most closely matches your feeling on the issue?

1. Why was there a ban to begin with? Please, by all means, DRILL.

29 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. I would normally oppose, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. Hesitantly in favor, but we need all sorts of restrictions.

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. It takes 8-10 years to get a platform up and running, and by then we better have some other solution

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. I don't believe it would impact fuel prices much, and the risk isn't worth it.

10 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. We need to get off the oil tit, and now's as good a time as any, so no way.

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  7. The thought of it pisses me off and always has.

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Offshore drilling anyone?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I totally apologize to my friend Lugnuts, but my first thought was to post a great picture of people having boat sex.

3. Lugnuts

Well what's stoppin' ya?

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If you saw the pictures I found, you would be grateful I took the high road.

5. Lugnuts

Hot! Hot! Hot!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

One of our columnists had an interesting idea the other day.

Let's make a deal.

We (Florida) give you offshore drilling on our coasts.

You (USA) give us a national catastrophe insurance fund so that our premiums are not 5-10 times higher than other people's.

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

The fact that 65% of Americans in a recent poll believe that drilling will bring oil prices down quickly is disturbing on many levels.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Drill now. Drill here.

You blue staters don't seem to mind when somebody named Clinton or Kennedy goes around, ahem, drilling. So crank it up.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

What a surprise that the option with the word "tit" in it is leading.

(I voted drill, because even if it takes 10 years for it to bear fruit, any other solutions probably won't be ready by then, either, so anything to help would be good)

10. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Oil companies absolutely should drill.

They should drill the land they already have.

According to a report by the House Natural Resources Committee earlier this month:

Even if increased domestic drilling activity could affect the price of
    gasoline, there is yet no justification to open additional federal lands because
    oil and gas companies have shown that they cannot keep pace with the rate of
    drilling permits that the federal government is handing out.

In the last four years, the Bureau of Land Management has issued
    28,776 permits to drill on public land; yet, in that same time, 18,954 wells were
    actually drilled. That means that companies have stockpiled nearly 10,000
    extra permits to drill that they are not using to increase domestic production.
    Further, despite the federal government's willingness to make public
    lands and waters available to energy developers, of the 47.5 million acres of
    on-shore federal lands that are currently being leased by oil and gas
    companies, only about 13 million acres are actually in production, or
    producing oil and gas (Figure 2). Similar trends are evident offshore as well
    (Figure 3), where only 10.5 million of the 44 million leased acres are currently
    producing oil or gas.
    Combined, oil and gas companies hold leases to nearly 68 million acres
    of federal land and waters that they are not producing oil and gas (Figure 4).
    Oil and gas companies would not buy leases to this land without believing oil
    and gas can be produced there, yet these same companies are not producing
    oil or gas from these areas already under their control.
    If we extrapolate from today's production rates on federal land and
    waters, we can estimate that the 68 million acres of leased but currently
    inactive federal land and waters could produce an additional 4.8 million
    barrels of oil and 44.7 billion cubic feet of natural gas each day.
    That would nearly double total U.S. oil production, and increase natural
    gas production by 75%. It would also cut U.S. oil imports by more than a third,
    and be more than six times the estimated peak production from the Arctic
    National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR).1

http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/images/stories/Documents/truth_about_americas_energy.pdf

http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/images/Documents/drilling_facts.pdf

Seems to me like this hue and cry from the oil companies about opening up more areas for drilling is a scam to get some more corporate welfare out of the government.

Maybe if these oil companies spent more on exploration and increasing refining capacity than on buying back their own stock -- http://www.truthout.org/article/nomi-prins-its-profits-stupid -- they wouldn't be looking for more government handouts.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Drill, drill, drill. Burn the oil, strip-mine the coal, cut down the rain forests. Nuke the whales, club the baby seals!! Pump up my SUV with Ethyl! Screw you, tree huggers!!! America, fuck yeah!!

12. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

NO. NO. NO.

The best way to fix the gas dependence in this country is to keep buying OPEC's oil. Let it go to $10 a gallon and watch the whole country freak out. When it gets high enough to affect even the people with large disposable incomes and completely destroys the economy because the middle class now has zero spending power, maybe people will figure out that the answer is something other than oil, not cheaper domestic oil.

Maybe if that happens, people in this country will open their damn eyes. We're putting all our eggs in a non-renewable basket and one day, it's going to bite us in the ass. And we'll quickly figure out -- like we did at $2 and $3 per -- that four bucks a gallon is just the tip-top of the ice berg.

We dug the hole for sixty years or so. Now it's time to climb out. Depending on oil isn't doing anything but digging it deeper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.