1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offseason baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What’s more believable, Pujols being 38 or Trump being 239 lbs?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I would never have thought I'd see a guy thrown out at first from short left field, but Pujols managed it last year.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That sounds like a bargain.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It does, but the guy is 30 and the market is extremely slow this year. Bewilderingly slow, really.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's why the collusion whispers are starting. But yes, that seems very low for J.D. Martinez.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know that it's collusion. I think that teams have seen how the Astros and Cubs built the last two World Series winners, and how the Angels, for instance, did not, and, well ...

8. outofplace

Gerrit Cole: Astros are 'willing to continually put resources into the club'

Gotta love Gerrit Cole's response to being traded from the Pirates to the Astros.

“It’s really special,” Cole said. “Obviously, the organization puts — values me very high, and that always feels good as a player. And it’s refreshing to come to an environment where the team is willing to continually put resources into the club and continue to move forward and try to provide the best possible product for its fans.”

And in the useless gestures part of the story.

Thousands sign petition urging Pirates owner Bob Nutting to sell the team

9. outofplace

I don't think it is collusion, either. I'm just the speculation is starting.

Some teams may see what the Cubs and Astros did and look at it as a blueprint. Others look at it as an excuse they can try to use to pacify their fans during the current or next purge.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Pirates' teardown continues ...

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Speaking of speculation, the Chicago Tribune speculated with its sports centerpiece today that the reason that the Cubs haven't moved Kyle Schwarber is because they are anticipating the N.L. going to the DH soon - or, more drastically, MLB possibly re-aligning the A.L. and N.L. out of existence in favor of four geographic divisions.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They weren't willing between 2012 and 2016. Even last year they had a bottom half payroll at the start of the season.

JC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted