1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offseason baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

For the news, obviously.

Saw a report today that Paul Molitor was "invited" back for 2018, but nothing is signed. Forgive my ignorance, but WTF is going on there?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Richard Justice was on Korneiser last week and said it's 50-50 whether Molitor wants to be back.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I just assumed he was going to go to Philly to work with Ryan and MacPhail.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That article is almost a parody of itself.

Inspiring song lyrics! Team meeting! Key pieces traded away!

The Twins got good because their young players blossomed and they had an equally fungible reliever to replace the one they traded.

The Royals and Angels and Orioles probably had the same types of team meetings and attitudes. They just didn't have the talented, energetic, emerging young players to put them over the top. Maybe their managers need an iPod.

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

7. cranberry

First, Elliotte asked why might Paul Molitor leave, and this story helped underscore the tension between the clubhouse and the front office far better than anything the Tribune, the competing newspaper, has written on the topic.

Second, young players had emerged before the mid-season slump that caused ownership to bail on this season. That Berardino used the lyrics from the song Molitor wrote about on the clubhouse white board only suggest to me that Berardino asked a lot of questions.

8. TheSportsPredictor

Hey, he wrote what they told him. Nothing wrong with the article. It's just that what they told him was nonsense. But I believe they believe the team meeting is why they won. Good thing Molitor had that Springsteen song on his iPod.

9. cranberry

It wasn't nonsense at all and nobody said it is why they won. The players on the team consider it the turning point in their season. It was.

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

The Red Sox are 12 innings away from joining this thread, perhaps in more ways than one.

11. TheSportsPredictor

They should hold a team meeting.

12. TheSportsPredictor

Draft saved Draft deleted