1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Official" Wimbledon Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Jun 24, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Agree BTE... so maybe overhyped instead of overrated...
    but I kind of think both.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He's an American, so I've basically just become accustomed to ESPN and NBC waving the flag until the last one loses.

I'm crossing my fingers DirecTV and USA Network offer the five U.S. Open channels that they offered last year.

That way I can watch Ivanovic-Dementieva-Hingis instead of the usual diet of Roddick-Blake-Serena.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'd settle for Federer-Nadal-Safin-numerous Eastern European women who are phenomenal instead of the constant Roddick-Blake-Serena. I really wanted to see the Federer-Safin match today, not that I mind Roddick, but something different would have been nice.

4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I can at least watch Serena matches for entertainment due to her various emotional highs and lows. Roddick I really can't watch at all anymore. Blake has had a few entertaining matches but he never wins them.

I'd like to see more Nadal matches to be honest. They rarely show him and I think he is the most entertaining in terms of rallies and shotmaking.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Pay the $25 and get Wimbledon Live. Match coverage on nine courts, no Chris Fowler to make you want to throw a shoe at the computer screen (who did he blow to get to do play-by-play anyway, and constantly interrupt people who actually know the game and laugh at his own pseudo-cleverness).

If you miss a match, you can watch it later, or download it. It's unbelievable (unless you have a Mac, in which case, like me, you pull out the old Dell laptop and make do).

The men's Masters Series events are also available in a package. Outstanding.

And I believe the US Open will have multi-channel coverage again this year. And that's about when the Tennis Channel comes on board permanently on DirecTV. So it's all good.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I can't wait for the Tennis Channel. ;)

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Yeah, that piece in the NYT Times was about Donald Young, sort of the latest Michelle Wie of the American tennis scene. I wouldn't use him as an example. His ranking is artificially inflated by all the freebie wild cards he is receiving as the latest failed Great American Hype.

As for depth, you have to take Federer and Nadal out of the equation when you judge it. It's really not about how many more people could theoretically beat them. They're outta sight of the rest of the field.

That said, you look at a journeyman like American Robert Kendrick, who should have beaten Nadal at Wimbledon last year, and you wonder how he can't get out of the Challengers. Huge game. But there's always something missing; sometimes money, sometimes belief, sometimes opportunity, sometimes confidence. As I mentioned, they can all play; the two abovementioned can play more.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not only do I have a Mac, but it's eight years old and running on OS 9.

No Wimbledon downloads for me.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Despite no tennis on Sunday, Federer advanced to the quarters after Tommy Haas had to withdraw due to a torn stomach muscle.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Well damn.

I notice NBC is showing the Roddick-Verdasco match. I know this is the THIRD time I've seen this one -- the day it happened, yesterday during the rain and again today. Maybe showing a match featuring some non-Americans would have been nice. I would have loved to actually get to watch the Safin-Federer match, even if it sucked by all accounts.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Saw that. It's a shame that when he makes the fourth round at Wimbledon for the first time -- on Centre Court against the No. 1 player in the world -- he can't play.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Kind of been the story of his career.

Draft saved Draft deleted